MOT, CAT, SVA.

Bananaman

1. What is on the log book that indicates it's an 'amateur build'

FWIW, both my home built cars say "Built from parts" on the log book. One car is a Q, the other is registered with the plate from the donor. Both cars are visible smoke test only, BUT both cars pre-date SVA.

2. What are the regs for my 1997 Factory-built Zetec running on carbs?
The "Factory Build" is the grey area, although 1997 pre-dates SVA, IIRC......
.....so visible smoke test only, I reckon...........Click the Blatchat link, 'cos it makes for an interesting read.

Click the Blatchat link, 'cos it makes for an interesting read.

I found a couple of links in other threads. Both were interesting, but in-conclusive...

Might give the previous owner a bell and see what he says...

Andy

I have just received a nice e-mail from the Vehicle Inspectorate which says this "if the V5 document says built from parts ie amature built the MOT test is visible smoke only.If the V5 does not say this then it is down to the individual to prove the age of the engine and then the relevant emissions test has to be met .

Andy

If you struggle to get someone sensible to do a MOT then let me know, i am a tester and i am only in Newbury, not to far away, (hope its not urgent brake tester broke today, so not sure when it will be sorted :arse: )

Glen.  :)

Andy

If you struggle to get someone sensible to do a MOT then let me know, i am a tester and i am only in Newbury, not to far away, (hope its not urgent brake tester broke today, so not sure when it will be sorted :arse: )

Glen.  :)

Where in Newbury are you Glen? I work in Newbury, on Greenham Road, near(ish) the racecourse.

Got my log book through over the weekend (finally). It says 'Kit car - built from parts' on it. Does that mean any tester who knows the regs should test this based on the smoke test? Is that what you'd do Glen? :)

Andy

Andy

If you're looking for a Westie friendly MOT in Warrington - try Black Bear garage in Station Road, Latchford (next to Jim Jeffries Tyres new place - near to the A50 swing bridge) I've MOTd mine there a couple of times with no problems (apart from needing an extra plate on the ramp to make sure the sump cleared it  :blush:  :)  ). The guy who owns it (Barry) is an ex Lotus racing mechanic , also owns Vernon motors (other side of Latchford) and runs a very tasty XK120 replica with a 4.2 V12 in it

Steve

P.S. if you're passing pop in for tea & bicuits