MOT, CAT, SVA.

Bananaman

Following a recent thread, can anybody clarify.

My car was Built/Registered in 1999 so i assume it must have been SVA'd? ???

It has a post 95 engine (Zetec) & runs on Carbs. :0

As far as i am aware it's never had a CAT (might of squashed a few :devil: ).

It's due an MOT soon & i'm a bit worried about emmisions, surely if it was regisered with out a CAT they cannot expect you to reto fit one, can they :angry:  :0  :arse: .

Please put my mind at ease. ;)

Andy :t-up:

My old red westy was one of the last to get away with not having an SVA which was January/Feb 1998 so yours would of definetly had one - cant be sure on the rest of the q's though ???

How about a 1997 Factory built car (again, on carbs)?

Does the factory built bit mean it's no longer an 'amateur build'?

Andy

Nanaman.

If your car is on a Q plate, then it's visible smoke test only.

If your log book says "Built from parts" on it, then it's an amateur build car. Visible smoke test only. Take the log book with you to the MOT.........

The "Factory Build" is the grey area, although 1997 pre-dates SVA, IIRC............. The thread on Blatchat, linked to in the other thread, should help explain it..........

Bananaman,

According the the SVA regs that I have (Jan 2000) your car should never have passed SVA, they must have changed the rules shorlty after your car took the test....The regs 4 engine emissions are as follows..

*All ages relate to engine ages*

1) Pre-August 1975 - visible smoke test only

2) August '75-July '86 engines are tested to meet a maximum figure at idle of 4.5% CO and 1200ppm of unburned hyrdrocarbons

3) August '86-July '95 - engines are tested to meet a maximum figure at idle of 3.5% CO and 1200ppm of unburned hyrdrocarbons

4) After August 1995 any engine will be tested to meet a maximum figure at idle of 0.5% CO and a Lambda value of between 0.97 and 1.03, or whatever is listed in the emissions publication.

This is quoted out of the emissions publication available from all SVA test centres and MOT stations.

According to those figures your engine on carbs would never have passed! As this emissions table is available at MOT test stations it would seem to suggest these are the rules they go by .....however in my experience they were rather unsure what to go by when they were queried.

I would strongly suggest it is worthwhile contacting the VI Agency (responsible for the Government MOT test scheme) on 0845 6005977 to find out the official viewpoint.

Regards,

JD ???

As fast Westie said, amateur built cars visible smoke only for MOT, regardless of the SVA requirements.  The ONLY time an amateur built car has to undergo an emmisions test should be at SVA.  If the MOT tester says different, just get him to phone the ministry.

I check this rule at every SVA I do cos it's stupid!  Once a car has passed the SVA you can take the cat off, never to use it again........

SVA.....jobs for the boyz

Factory cars could be fun, but at the moment, who knows if the car is factory or amateur built?? I've never been asked, & I know the answer I'd give.

Is it possbile nanamans' car could have been exempt because the builder started it before the SVA began?

There was a time limit set especially for people who could prove they started building before the start of SVA for them to get their car completed without having to do the test.

Or have I got the wrong year?

Mike

I cannot imagine your car has ever had a cat if it is on 45DCOE`s as these would kill the cat as the fuel metering is almost nonexistent as far as cats go.

Thanks

Anybody know any sensible MOT stations in the South Manchester/Warrington Area.

Andy ;)

On a very similar thread....

I am currently in the midst of the SVA and emissions saga.  I had my SVA in October and FAILED in a big way over the emissions.  The engine is a new zetec, which I got with the exhaust & bits all fitted and tuned.  However, not having a CAT, the emisison were a problem.  I have now managed to get time to look into it - and have leaned the mixture at idle and have just about got to the CAT test limits without a CAT (on injectors).  However, the leaning trim only works until 1500rpm - and then in neglected - so the test at 2500 - 3000 is still a fail.  I am now in the process of getting the ECU to accept the trimming up to 3000rpm.

I have also been advised that on a Q plate the MOT test will just look for smoke - so no worries.

However, if I cannot meet the CAT test requirement without a CAT then I will need to get one.  However, I am not too keen to spend a large sum of money for a WF exhaust system with CAT - just to take it off after SVA and replace with my 'propper' exhaust.  Anyone else had this dilema - and how to get around it??

Ta

Simon

I understand it revolves round the age of the engine.   I have a Zetec that is 8 months too young for the May 95 regs to apply.   I'm just going to get a second Zetec - this time of the right age.   All that hassle with a cat will no doubt cost more than another used Zetec.

Perhaps we should have a club owned engine just to get cars through SVA, and then fit our own   :p

Any views Mark?

:D

So it seems for "amateur build" the MOT requirements are visible smoke only - irrespective of what was tested at SVA?

What is it then on the V5 Vehicle Registration document that shows it's an "amateur build"?

Looking at my Westy's V5 document there is nothing that says "built from parts" or "amateur build" or anything similar. It has a Category called "M1" (with no explanation).

I remember doing the build up report for registration showing it was built from various parts (new) hence a new plate. Also for the SVA last year I remember filling in the forms stating it was an "amateur build" - but there's nothing obvious on my V5 registration document.

Any ideas?

Yes I know with a new (Oct 2002) registration I can wait almost 3 years before my 1st MOT - but I want to ditch the Cat & get a Dunnell Exhasut too!

Chris

Bath

Yes I know with a new (Oct 2002) registration I can wait almost 3 years before my 1st MOT - but I want to ditch the Cat & get a Dunnell Exhasut too!

Is that the case? I thought 'amateur built' cars had to be MOTd every year from new?

Could well be mistaken...

I would also be interested in a 'definitive' (is there such a thing!;) statement as to

1. What is on the log book that indicates it's an 'amateur build'

2. What are the regs for my 1997 Factory-built Zetec running on carbs?

3. Anyone in the Swindon-ish area know of a good place to get an MOT for something as unusual as this?

Ta

Andy