Potential results problem

cast iron

On the subject of novices I think the definition for a novice in rule 3.1 may need some consideration and review for next year as although the points scoring system has been changed since last year this rule has not been altered to accomodate this. :oops:

In the 2009 regulations if there was a single entrant in any class the maximum points attainable by the driver would be 16, whereas in 2010 and with the application of rule 1.6e the points awarded would be 17.  

Hence in 2010 if somebody attends two events as the sole class entrant and 1.6e is applied either because it's a new track or it rains etc then the following year they would have to compete as an Expert, yet with last years points system they would only have scored 16 points at each event and therefore could continue to compete as a novice for the following year.

Mark

the Ssot is already aware of this issue. In fact I raised as a tech query at the start of the year but by then the rules had been ratified. I mentioned it again to the chairman unofficially at an event this year.

Although I cannot pre- empt what the Ssot will decide I think you will find it is one area that will be " reviewed" at the e

end of the year.

My proposal going forward was that a novice should be defined by the number of events competed,and suggested 20 as being suitable. Therefore  if you do two full seasons of 10+ events, you become an expert in your third year. If however you are an occasional sprinter who only does 4 events a year it will still take 5 years to become an expert.

Mark

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mid life crisis

• ACW

• Mark Stanton

• Paul Edden

On the subject of novices I think the definition for a novice in rule 3.1 may need some consideration and review for next year as although the points scoring system has been changed since last year this rule has not been altered to accomodate this. :oops:

In the 2009 regulations if there was a single entrant in any class the maximum points attainable by the driver would be 16, whereas in 2010 and with the application of rule 1.6e the points awarded would be 17.  

Hence in 2010 if somebody attends two events as the sole class entrant and 1.6e is applied either because it's a new track or it rains etc then the following year they would have to compete as an Expert, yet with last years points system they would only have scored 16 points at each event and therefore could continue to compete as a novice for the following year.

Mark

the Ssot is already aware of this issue. In fact I raised as a tech query at the start of the year but by then the rules had been ratified. I mentioned it again to the chairman unofficially at an event this year.

Although I cannot pre- empt what the Ssot will decide I think you will find it is one area that will be " reviewed" at the e

end of the year.

My proposal going forward was that a novice should be defined by the number of events competed,and suggested 20 as being suitable. Therefore  if you do two full seasons of 10+ events, you become an expert in your third year. If however you are an occasional sprinter who only does 4 events a year it will still take 5 years to become an expert.

Mark

That sounds fair :t-up: thanks for posting Mark  :cool:

From 2007 no novice can win overall honours in A/C without beating the experts in classes C/D. Classes merged for reasons that escape me!

However drivers in all other classes compete against novices in their own classes, and are not affected by the times of their expert competitors.

Why !!!!!

A completely contradictory comparison surely.

A & B have not been banned, just merged with their expert couterparts in order to have a SS champion that competed against all comers.

Surely you cannot advocate that an overall SS champion should emerge from competition supplied only from novices.

A & B have the overall novice championship and the SS  championship to aim for, as well as their own novice class championship which classes E,F,G & H don't have. What more opportunity can be made available??

Surely you cannot advocate that an overall SS champion should emerge from competition supplied only from novices.

Why not?

Novices are part of the same series as experts, pay the same entry fees, incur similar costs and have the same passion to win.

Why should they be treated any different from any other competitor. If they drive well and win amongst their peers they should be entilted to overall honours in the same way as a driver in any other class.

Do find the comments you express interesting, if it is the oppinion of the SSOT, and as such worry about the future of the SS.

Mark Anson is still a novice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seen his results ?

Richard Carroll came stright into F then H and there aint a novice class there

Of course it's the opinion of the SSOT, as it is the current format. Novices are not only given the same opportunity, but additional consideration by virtue of having their own class, not enjoyed by classes E,F,G or H. If you want novices to have the opportunity to win the overall SS championship, competing against their own class, then the definition of a novice must be altered to take account of previous experience. Can you honestly say that you would have been happy to win the SS, competing against drivers with no motorsport experience, when you, by your own admission have had that benefit. Perhaps not in the same discipline, but car control will surely be enhanced.

Don't forget the plight of the experts, who may be breaking records right, left and centre, with no recognition in terms of the overall SS championship, due to the "success" of a novice who is murdering the opposition, calling on skills honed in previous experience not recognised in the current definition of an expert.

A & B have the overall novice championship and the SS  championship to aim for, as well as their own novice class championship which classes E,F,G & H don't have. What more opportunity can be made available??
Actually Classes E, F, G and H also have novice class awards and put forward to overall Novice Champion  ;) just that not many novices in G & H  :) and everyone can aim for overall Champion  :)  (except non Westfields) Just take a look at the list of awards made each year - usually 50+............plenty of opportunity for all novice and experts alike  :)

one thing that i hope we dont loose track of in all this is the spirit of the ss which you do not get in any other dicipline ,thats why myself and others compete in j (the best class) :p

Actually Classes E, F, G and H also have novice class awards and put forward to overall Novice Champion  

Yep, I knew that, sorry, a typo  :durr:

then the definition of a novice must be altered to take account of previous experience. Can you honestly say that you would have been happy to win the SS, competing against drivers with no motorsport experience, when you, by your own admission have had that benefit. Perhaps not in the same discipline, but car control will surely be enhanced.

Don't forget the plight of the experts, who may be breaking records right, left and centre, with no recognition in terms of the overall SS championship, due to the "success" of a novice who is murdering the opposition, calling on skills honed in previous experience not recognised in the current definition of an expert.

Good point

Only defence I would have is that at 35 years old, I was competing with one of the oldest engines in class if not the series. Oh and the last round of the series, to make up my 10. I drove with my left arm in a sling, having missed the previous 3 events with an ongoing shoulder injury.

But why have a go at me? My previous posts were not aimed at any individual but a general obsevation on the championship rules as they stand.

Not having a go at you, you daft b****r.  :love:

Just highlighting a point using info that is relevant to you to hammer it home.

It was meant as a general observation in the same way as yours. Soz if you took it the wrong way.

Edited to add. If you can beat everyone else with an underpowered car and your arm in a sling, I rest my case!! :bangshead: