rear stone guards

pants

Hi Ive got the carbon effect stone guards from westifield and was wondering whats the best way to hold them on screws, rivets or nuts and bolts?

What do westfield use?

Cheers

Mark

Have just fitted them on mine and used black rivets supplied by Westfield and the rubber trim which finishes them off nicely also supplied by Westfield. Looks OK and does the job but it's a personal thing I suppose as to which method you prefer ;)

Seems very perverse to me to 'protect' the rear arches by drilling holes in them.  Has anyone ever used double sided tape to stick these on ???

Seems very perverse to me to 'protect' the rear arches by drilling holes in them

Thank god for that - thought it was only me  :blush:

How do you know at what optimum height etc to fit stoneguards  :durr:

Would it not be more beneficial - to have some stoneguards on "standby" - use the car for a few months - see exactly where stones hit arches  ;)  and then install stoneguards  ;)  if you wish  ???  ???

Im with the "Why drill holes" camp.  I use self adhesive non slip stuff you can get for the top of your skate board....the stuff that looks like very course sandpaper but in grey.

You can cut it to desired shape, its strong enough to prevent damage from fairly large bits of grit and best of all, you can actually spray it with black, or whatever colour, paint (before you stick it on the car) - does the job.

Each year you can peel it off and stick a new bit on.

i used the carbon sheet and cut to shape which i used double sided sponge tape, all the way round except the bottom case water got in,and they have been fine,the sponge tape actually gives more of a bounce back,in case of big stones etc. worth a try just make sure you warm the tape and the arch with a hair dryer or similar for maximum adhesion of the glue. :t-up:

Linds, sounds like anti slip pad material for factory floors/ steps etc. Sounds a good idea. the stuff we use is black already- its abit like, (well it is actually), 60 grit emery ;)

Brian.

How do you know at what optimum height etc to fit stoneguards  :durr:

Would it not be more beneficial - to have some stoneguards on "standby" - use the car for a few months - see exactly where stones hit arches  ;)  and then install stoneguards  ;)  if you wish  ???  ???

I thought the carbon effect stone guards were moulded abs plastic which only fits in one place and fits all round the edges on the front of the wheel arch. They are very neat indeed and are much better than sticking/rivetting a rectangle of ally in the middle even if they are more expensive.

IMO they are better then the real carbon versions as they won't go brittle and get holes bashed in them.

Mike

I agree with Mike H, they only fit in one place and why not drill holes? what's a few more when you've drilled bl**** hundreds building the car. Battered with stones isn't quite the same than a few neatly drilled holes and fitted rivets. BTW, carbon arches are £185 whilst ABS are £60  :p

£20 gets you Motrax stick on CARBON FIBRE WEAVE - A3 size sheet from a Motorbike shop.

Looks like real carbon fibre (cos it is-but a different resin etc to keep it flexible)

Tough enough for the stones I've encountered - as said though - you pays ya money takes ya choice :cool:  ;)

£20 gets you Motrax stick on CARBON FIBRE WEAVE - A3 size sheet from a Motorbike shop.

Looks like real carbon fibre (cos it is-but a different resin etc to keep it flexible)

Tough enough for the stones I've encountered - as said though - you pays ya money takes ya choice :cool:  ;)

Hi Warren

I've been thinking of using some of that stuff for sometime now but haven't got around to it.

I would like some of the carbon effect guards as mentioned but as mine is a standard body with fixed arches this isn't an option.

My idea of using the MOTRAX stuff is to cover a larger area and thereby tidy up where the wings show a bit of damage - its a 95 car so seen some action.

Have you got a piccy of the results you got - any recommendations for using it? Does it cut/shape easily?

Cheers

Chris