Pitfalls

neilwillis

On 6th Feb I shall be collecting Mods 1,2, & 4 for my westie.   I am sure that there are some pointers I should take into account when I start the project.   I am supplying a Zetec, MT75, and diff.   I am aware of the emmissions regulations, but is there anything else I need to be wary of?

Don't buy the MT75! You can get the shocks and springs cheaper elsewhere (Rally Design do Gaz shocks for £46+VAT and springs for £12+). They also do reconditioned rear brake calipers and alloy 4 pots with dust seals. Get yourself an RAC roll bar if you are thinking of doing much track work.

Neil if your anywhere near Manchester come to tonights meeting and Glen and Me will tell you everything you need to know about building Zeeeeeeeeeetecs  :D

for directions see the events section

You see, I buy an MT75, get it reconned, and now I find out it's a no no!

I'm in the Midlands, but I will take you up on the trip to Manchester to hear the Zetec war stories at some point.

I'm in possession of a post May '95 lump, which will be lavished with tlc at some point, and go into the car (Q reg of course), but as I'm using carbs, I need to find an older one to take the car through it's SVA.  

An RAC bar is a must, I saw the horror pics.

Thanks for the tips

Neil

I'm in the Midlands

Where ??? - cos there are also a few Midlands based area meets to swap info and ideas - club mag usually contains surplus parts and info - You can also try some of the Speed Series Sponsors along with Westfield for bits and pieces for your car.

MT75 chassis with Type 9 gearbox means you can get the engine sitting much further back  ;)  :)  and better gearing options- Calling Tommo, where are you Tommo  ;)

Thanks Stu  :D

I'm in Coseley.   I am going to the Halesowen meet this Sundaynight if I can find the pub.   Where and when do the other meetings occur?

You see, I buy an MT75, get it reconned, and now I find out it's a no no!

Paahh!

Nothing wrong with the MT75, I have one as so do several of my friends and they are all happy with 'em. There are, however, a couple of truths:-

1. there is more choice of ratios available for the Type 9 - this is deemed a good thing if you are doing mainly track/hill climbs and not road work

2. Mark is right about the Type 9 gearbox/Engine fitting further back in an MT75 chassis which is deemed a good thing BUT you should know that the thermostat housing will hit the front bulkhead if you move the engine back any more - this is deemed a bad thing. Yes I know you can get a water rail blah, blah, blah but all that hassle for about 3 inches? :blush:

3. The Type 9 is an ugly mother ......

OK, MT75 stays.   I reckon on using it mostly on the roads anyway, so ratios and voodoo like that is not really an issue - well not until I go to my first hillclimb I guess

;)

Neil

I'll see you at The Sun Inn in Romsley - you can't miss it  :blush:  :D  it's on your right hand side if you're travelling from Halesowen direction - won't be many there this time of year but you're sure to get some ideas  :)  ;)  ???  James D looks like being there as well and he's doing a similar car to yours  :)  about 8 p.m. ish

You luddite Stepps - go Raceline and Type 9 you know you wanna  :devil:  :D  :)  ;)

Thanks Mark, and everyone else for the tips.   Just 28 days till I go get my new toy.   Doesn't time drag when you haven't got a westie! :angry:

Anyone going to the Autosport event at the NEC Sunday?

Bin the MT75

Fit a T9 for all the good reasons above if you ever want to upgrade the MT75 you carn't.

Fit the engine as far back as you can near 50/50 weight on corner weight scales

Paul.

Glen and Me will tell you everything you need to know about building Zeeeeeeeeeetecs

Including what wood is best for you coffin/build stands  ???