Seat mountings?

MarkJ

Hi,

Take delivery of my new seats shortly (non-Westfield items), but been thinking of how to fit them to the floor. Having bought a part-built '92 car, the previous owner had installed wooden boarding in the floor wells. Having removed these I've found that I have no chassis cross-members to bolt the seat runners to. Is this normal, or did the older cars not have proper mounting points? I am concerned that the nice SVA chappy will pull me up on it if I bolt them straight into the ali floor pan (and I'm also a little afraid of falling through).

Any ideas ?

Mark.

Older cars never had cross members  ;)  Simply bolted through the ali floor panel  :)  ;)  Mines been fine since 1990  ;)

As long as the seat is secure and doesn't move then there shouldn't be a problem  :)

It is fairly easy to weld in steel flats to take seat bolts and strengthen floor. See modern version

Terry

Thanks fellas, just spoken to SVA at Cardiff and they've said that I would need to reinforce the floor. This is a bit of a b******* as the ali floor panel and side panels are already riveted on which may hamper the fitting of any plates, and I don't want to get into welding myself anyway. As the car isn't drivable and I don't have ready access to a trailer, this could present a little problem.

MJ.

just spoken to SVA at Cardiff

Hey Mark

Don't know if I may have said this b4, but if you are in South Wales, why not come along to our next S.Wales 7's meeting...........

(Thinks: I'm getting to sound like our esteemed Chairman, methinks "have you joined.......") :D  :0  :p

Cheers Mark

Our new venue will suit you then - only just across the bridge. Altho' of course the Bristol area meet would be your "local" I suppose..!!

I work out of Yate at the moment (well 50% of the time) and previously was based in Warmley for 10 years, so I know the  bridges well!!

Good luck with the rebuild.

Once the seats are firmly in place and carpets down you won't be able to see under the seat and at its support - and they don't make you take the seats out  ;)  :)

Try and pass it - If asked just say - yes  ;) Its all in accordance with the build and chassis requirements  ;)

Mark - thanks, I'd thought that may be what I need to do! But won't they get me to remove the carpet to have a look?

Chris - we have an office in Yate as well as Batheaston, so I'm up there occasionally. If you let me have your number I'll get in touch next time I pop over there.

Cheers,

MJ.

Mark, if i were you I would just add the largest, say 3" dia, spreader washer you can find either side the floor plate. BUT I would definately fit stainless poprivets to hold the floor panels to the chassis.

Lots of people including me have had the floor rivets pop out after a period of time. (My first car was a 91 chassis with the panelling done by Westfield and the rivets failed).

My Cyclone has the seats fitted as detailed, directly to the floor and that passed SVA  ;)

Brian.

That's similar to what I done - used some thicker gauge ali in strips as spreaders and stainless steel pops to all chassis panels  ;)  :)