FAO anyone with FIA Roll Bar

Graham.J

If you have an FIA Roll Bar could you quickly run out to the drive or garage with a tape measure and tell me how tall it is from the rear bulkhead to the top of the bar?

And if we ever meet I'll buy you a coke! :cool:

Cheers

Graham

It was the coke thing that scared everyone off wasn't it??

I REALLY need to know how tall the roll bar is, it's a matter of life or death, well it will be if I roll it and it isn't tall enough!!

#### #### #### and b*ll*cks. :angry:

I will need to get a custom built one as it needs to be about 22" high.

Oh well.

Cheers for doing that for me.

Graham

Mine's 16.5 inches above mounting plate.

SEi wide body 1989 chassis  ;)

#### #### #### and b*ll*cks. :angry:

I will need to get a custom built one as it needs to be about 22" high.

Oh well.

Cheers for doing that for me.

Graham

Are you a giraffe? :D  :p  :D

Not quite but I have very long legs and couldn't fit in with the standard westfield seat, I changed to a GRP one from Plays-Kool and to fit in with that the angle of my seat puts my body up so my head is a long way up.   :)

I'm 6' 5" with a 36" inside leg and my head's just below the roll bar.

I'm using the Westfield GRP race seat and runners/brackets supplied with my Megablade kit and have managed to get the seat almost on the floor with these, so OK for leg room and headroom.

For your head to be 6" higher than mine suggests the bottom of your seat must be quite a bit higher than mine - perhaps you've got some room for manouvre there?

Nice numbers Bob, but Graham's car is a narrow body..........the seating and leg room areas are very different to your wide bodied car

Is it possible to keep your standard bar, then modify driverside "tub" and shift the pedal box forward to take it further into the engine bay, thus giving more leg room?  

Or would that just not enough room for your feet & then busted legs in a crash?

???

I guess someone with a bit more brains and experience than me needs to comment... Blatters? :p

Er, Graham wants an RAC bar 'cos he's going racing.............

You can move he pedal box forward a bit, and I doubt it would make much diffrence in a crash. IIRC, the only regulation that the RAC insist on for racing is that your feet are behind the front axle line. No probs with that on a Westfield.........

I think Graham has gone the wrong way with his current seating position. It sounds like he's got his legs comfortable, but that means he's sitting almost bolt upright against the rear bulkhead. The Westfield race seat is quite reclined, and would probably make a difference to the way that he sits. With attention to the pedal box as suggested, that *might* just about do it. Still don't know how tall he is though. If he's much over 6'2" or 6'3", he may be forced in to getting a custom seat (ie two pack foam) or roll hoop made.

And not forgetting that the roll bar should be 50mm (2 inches in old money) above the top of your head whilst wearing crash helmet  ;)  :)  :(  :D  ;)

I'm 6'2" and still growing.

I looked into moving the pedal box but it wont go more than about 1 inch forward as the brake reservior would foul on the engine.

Blatters is right I had to change my seating posture as My legs wouldnt go under the steering wheel with the westfield seat in. The best posture I found was with two bits of cushion, one for my back and one for my glutemus maximus  ;)

Does this mean I've shelled out £80 for a new seat requiring me to spend £300 on a custom roll bar (not bought it yet) where I could possibly have a funny foamy seaty thingy and £220 on a westfield supplied RAC bar??????