Gorden brown digs labours grave

voting labour your voting for the partys policies not the numpty stood up at the front

its why we need electoral reform and make it such that when a PM stands down it is followed by a general election

Yup!

......and so in the most horrific scenario, (involving the main parties only and not the other dross), we could end up with a Labour government with that corrupt. sleazy, slime-meister mandelson as Prime Minister.....(mandelson deliberately sans capitalisation as he isn't even worthy of upper case letters imho!

If that isn't a revolting enough thought to put you off voting Labour then I dunno what is.....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lippydave

• Blatman

• carpetstu

• Man On The Clapham Omnibus

There isn't a fair voting system that will give us better than we have now. If you go for a proportianal voting system you end up with minor parties holding immense power.

The liberals love the idea as they would gain from it the most.

For example the Greens would have some MP's now for whoever the leader of the biggest party was they would need their support. So we would have a minority holding the key to what ever the goverment wanted to do.

Look at other countries where PR exsists to see the shambles it brings. Like it or not our current system is the best.

Er, we have a minority holding the key. More people voted for the the other parties than Labour in the last election, it's just that the spread of votes meant Labour won. But it has always been thus. However, I also don't think PR is the way forward for the reasons mentioned. Our voting system is flawed, it's just the least flawed of all the possible systems...

Not a new argument.  Winston Churchill once said we have the worst electoral system in the world apart from all the other ones.

Er, we have a minority holding the key. More people voted for the the other parties than Labour in the last election, it's just that the spread of votes meant Labour won. But it has always been thus. However, I also don't think PR is the way forward for the reasons mentioned. Our voting system is flawed, it's just the least flawed of all the possible systems...

Don't like to adduce Germany on this forum, seeing how popular our thorough friends are here but.........

.........lived there for ten years of my life; never saw a majority government; see no evidence whatever (over the last 40 years) that they are less good than us at running an economy..........

............difference is that, rather than moaning about the unworkability of a "hung parliament", the potential coalition partners take themselves off for a couple of weeks and (with cold towels round head) agree a legally formulated joint programme which then replaces their individual manifestos. Is that so hard for rational people??

:bangshead:

To be fair, and its the firs time i head the tape/comments/radioshow first hand. Big deal.

yes it was careless of him

yes it looks a bit bad for it

no he shouldnt really have said it

HOWEVER

Having been caught out, he's said, he did a half decent job at patching up a reason for it, which to be honest i can empathies with.

Who here can honestly say after a bit of a stressful rushed day, after a slightly awkward or misplaced questions, you have haven't had a bit of a private mumble to a colleague which if broadcast nationally wouldnt end with you having egg on your face?

To me the only person really really out of order is the person or people who, having listen to it, took the decision to make it public.

Daniel

Who here can honestly say after a bit of a stressful rushed day, after a slightly awkward or misplaced questions, you have haven't had a bit of a private mumble to a colleague which if broadcast nationally wouldnt end with you having egg on your face?

To me the only person really really out of order is the person or people who, having listen to it, took the decision to make it public.

Daniel

If you take up the highest position of public office in the land, then you are totally accountable to the electorate.

You forgo privacy when you undertake public functions....

If you don't like that fact, don't take the job, and if you do take the job be aware that everything you do will be scrutinised......

If you wanna be the big cheese you have to take the blue mouldy bits as well as the cream... :laugh:

Yes, we've all done it, (said inappropriate things at inappropriate times...I'm regional champion,... :laugh:  :D )but most of us haven't previously sold our souls to become the head of the British goverment.....

The question is, if your judgment is questionable on a  minor issue like this, what is it like on bigger issues?

I just love it when Gordon Brown suffers  :D   The press are like a cat teasing a mouse.  Nice  :cool:

Its interesting that the election has been so hijacked by the leaders debates , its as if we are almost falling backwards into a US style presidential election. I wonder how many people will go to vote and get confused cos it doesnt say Brown-Cameron-or Clegg on the ballot

Maybe we seperate the 2 and cast a vote for the Leader , and cast a vote for our local representative seperately . Then leave them to have a right good bun fight to see if a "national" government (a la 1931) can be formed . Its cant be worse than the 3rd most popular party in votes being the largest party ,

Did someone say vote for Cleggy, what our Cleggy, he of the repro Porsche? :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Did someone say vote for Cleggy, what our Cleggy, he of the repro Porsche? :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

......"and my first priority is to break out the welder and put some large supports in place..."   :laugh:  :p  :D  :laugh:

For sure he made a bad mistake   :bangshead:

However what really p****s me off is the fact that Mr. Murdoch has so much influence over this election with all his media outlets.

What's the betting if Cameron made this mistake it wuld have reported

"Cameron personally appologises during hectic schedule"

The Times, a Murdoch paper, has been a staunch Labour supporter for 18 years.

If Cameron had made the same mistake, then the lefty press like The Mirror and The Guardian would have done to Cameron exactly what The Sun has done to Brown...