PINTO CONVERSION COSTS

peterpeter

Thanks for the interesting comments,

Im buying a 98 westy seiw with a pinto giving out 165 at the flywheel and 135 ish at the wheels. Next year I have a budget of about £2.5 K to uprate the car. Havent rung vulcan yet. Might even consider changing the engine if I can within this price. Ideally would like 180 bhp because I do a lot of track days at Bedford in my 911 and Im worried the westy  might run out of puff on some of the longer straights.

as i have been mentioned by my good friend, my view is this;

somebody has always got something better than you.

start with what you got and make it the best in its class, or the best you can do yourself within the budget you have got.

ignore the man with who talks faster/bigger, if you acheive the best you can do you will probably have more behind you than in front.

in terms of performance cars more hp does not mean faster.

forget proving what you got on the road - join the Speed Series next year and achieve your real potential.

it has been known occasionally for a Zetec to beat my Pinto - it would be a sad day for Ford if it couldn't !

good luck !

And being as we now know that a Pinto car is all but nestling in the garage, you'll need to consider that, with the exception of normally aspirated Sierra Cosworth engines, and Fiat twin cams (I think.....), all the other options for engines have the exhaust and inlets on the other side to the pinto. That means a Zetec transplant will need a hole for the carbs on the off side of the bonnet, and a hole for the exhaust in the nearside body work. Currently you have the opposite. Factor in the costs of attempting to fill the holes left by the conversion (not possible, IMO. At least, not to a good standard), then add in the cost of new bodywork, and you've blown a grand before you even get to the rest of the bits you'll need to make the Zetec/Vx/Crossflow/Toyota a runner..............

That's a long winded way of agreeing with my frined at Robinson Racing (who I'm catching............). Stick with, and modify the Pinto. Speak to Vulcan, Burtons and HT Racing for ideas, specs, prices etc, as it's difficult to speculate what it will cost without knowing just how much work you want done. "Stage 3" could mean anything, but does it include porting (lots of labour charge) or not, steel rods, or not, forged pistons, or not, bigger valves, or not, unleaded valve seats (a definite yes, whatever the spec), or not.......overbore to 2.1, or bigger, etc etc. Then you'd need to consider wether it's worth protecting your investment with a dry sump system, plus you may need to upgrade the radiator to deal with the extra heat pushed out by having more horses.

I'm sure there's more, but that'll be enough to be getting along with for now...............

• 4 weeks later...

I took the tour of the Westfeild factory the other week. placing my order I mentioned that I would like to upgrade to cosworth or 2litre zetec from 2litre pinto some time in the future.

Simon in sales mentioned the fact that I would have to change the body and bonet because the manifolds are on the wrong side however Westfeild are now looking at using the 2litre duratec which is replacing the zetec.

The duratec has its manifolds on the same side as the pinto but may proove to expencive. !!AT THE MOMENT!!