PINTO CONVERSION COSTS

peterpeter

Does anyone have any idea (roughly) of the costs involved in getting a pinto to a stage 3 conversion--180 bhp

Also would a 150 zetec outrun or outhandle a 165 BHP pinto????

Im thinking of getting a pinto based car for use on the track ..

Is this a good idea ???

Suggestions welcome.

Can you make Cadwell on the 20th or 30th Sept you can see for your self from the passenger seat what my 1800 Zetec is like.

Paul.

Also would a 150 zetec outrun or outhandle a 165 BHP pinto?

Yes it would. It would also use less fuel, last twice as long, weigh less, and look as if it should have been under the bonnet in the firstplace. Way to go. Didnt mention VX once. ;)  ;) Brian.

Hey Paul

Whats the events at Cadwell on the 9th and 30th? Is it just a trackday for normal (ie not Westie) type cars?

Might be interested in popping along if theres gonna be lots of Westies??

cheers

Kevin

Ones Slipstream the second is Javelin you have an A3 flyer for this one both are running kit cars/kit car group only.

So are you coming? just need your travel paper to get over the bridge.

Javelin

Slipstream

Paul.

Hi Paul

New to this I'm still undecided about car or bike engine,been in a megablade (passenger) very impressed but not experianced  a CEC to compare it against, i only live 10 mins from cadwell any chance of scrounging your passenger seat for a couple of laps.

DAZ   :t-up:

Also would a 150 zetec outrun or outhandle a 165 BHP pinto?

Yes it would. It would also use less fuel, last twice as long, weigh less, and look as if it should have been under the bonnet in the firstplace. Way to go. Didnt mention VX once.

Depends who's driving, and how the car is setup. It has very little to do with wether the the engine is heavier/lighter, or has more or less hp..........Westfield performance is NOT just about big horsepower numbers that you brag about down the pub...........

how about if it was the same car set-up and same driver, i.e. him, as per the question?

sorry if that sounds rude but i tried to write it a few times and couldnt make it sound any better  :blush:

Hi Jonnyboy. Welcome back................

Point taken, but these questions are usually hiding the "what do I need to be faster than my mates Scooby/my neighbours Zetec Westfield/my mums Ka" type question............IMO........

What I should have said was, tell us what you want/expect, and we'll try to help you get it.............

FWIW, the Robinson Racing 180bhp Pinto has p******** all over every single Zetec brought out at the Speed Series, and lot of other cars with lots more than 180bhp, mine included :0  :0  :)  

They have spent a fair amount of time (and no doubt several quid) achieving a good set up, but that sort of proves my point, and at the same time seems to say that you need to spend on set up as well as an engine to achieve this result. IMO, it doesn't matter what engine you have, you'll always want to have the "right" set up, so costs could be ignored. Then we're looking at tyre choice, power to weight ratio and driver talent.

Basically, there are no short answers to the initial question, and there are very few "right" answers. We just need to decide what's right for peterpeter, once he tells us what the proposed useage will be (oh, he already has........) how much track time compared to road time he's looking at, and how much he has to spend..........

having re-read the question, i see where you are coming from.' his mate has the 150bhp zetec, and he wants to beat him!'

peterpeter, help us out with this one.

do you want a pinto to beat your mate's zetec, or, do you want a standard zetec that would be faster than if you had a 165bhp pinto?

(ive really got things confused now and peter still doesnt know how much a stage3 conversion will cost- sorry)

Alright then to re-phrase the question, which is the most desirable, from a general point of view, given precious other info, and today-not 10 years ago, a standard Zetec or a highly tuned Pinto? Brian.

Standard Zetec. It's a no brainer...........

Pick up a 2 litre, with 130 cams, bolt on some 45 Webers or Dellorto's (assuming the car doesn't have to pass SVA........) , and go play with 150/155ish bhp...........

It's also possible peterpeter has been offered a Pinto car and has an eye on modifying it immediately. We'd then need to know what his budget is for purchase.

OR......he already owns a Pinto car, and does indeed want to whip his mate at the lights. So "stage 3" (whatever that means) depends very much on how much he wants to retain drivability/road manners. How close to a race engine does he want to go? And, of course, how much money does he want to spend, and how much work will he do himself?

peterpeter, the board awaits...............