• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R1 STRIKER

• Terry Everall

• JeffC

• Blatman

Honda 1000rr.

165bhp as standard so almost Busa power and for a third of the price. :D  :D

You can have an 07 engine and all the gubins to run it for £1200.

Hi there. It's my second post on the forum so as you can understand this topic is quite interesting for me.

Having sold my Mistral-prepared Blackbird XX 1200cc engine, I'm looking for a new car engine. The choices for me are the following: A) throttle bodied Duratec 2.0 with type9 or… caterham's 6speed gearbox. B) F20c Honda engine but don't know what gearbox. Honda 6sp gearbox is too heavy but I don't think that there is any other reasonable priced solution (syncro meshed) that can handles the high rev F20 . (just to mention it, if I'm right, the K20 engine will not match the Honda 6speed f20's gearbox).

So, IMO, trying to keep the weight as low as possible, I'll give my vote to an -upgraded- Duratec solution.

Ford Sigma / Zetec SE 1.6 with SPC modified type 9. Fit jenvey DTH bodies on the engine and an aftermarket ECU such as DTA and should should see 150bhp

Fit some mild cams from Piper with vernier pullies and you will see 175 - 180bhp

Fit a lightweight flywheel, small clutch and an Elite sequential gearbox and you wont be able to change gear quick enough  :laugh:

FWIW, it is of the same origins as the Puma 1.7 which was developed by Yamaha and has some nice featues such as 6mm valve stems and solid tappets. The Puma has a forged steel crank and nicosealed bores as standard and an 11:1 compression ratio. However, getting a low mileage one now is pretty rare so i would go with the Sigma. Caterham and Wesrtfield sell cars with these as standard fitment now so bellhousings and sump arrangements are common

How is it similar to either of those? Neither are aluminium..........

For me bike engine for track. Cheap, light, reasonably plentiful. I would go for as big as you can on the bike R1,ZXR 1200/1400 > I’ve tracked, hill climbed, raced & owned xflow, Vauxhall XE, V8 and ZXR 1200 powered Westfield’s/Genesis. and for track only I would do bike every time I love my SEiGHT Westfield but for me its  BEC’s it just out & out the best way to get round a circuit and the sound of the engine & sequential box there's no better, unless you have a little ,sequentialled V8 Westy which will never happen, well a light one any with out spending a fortune with  a V8 bike engine!

Buzz

Yorkshire A.O

My love of bike engined cars is well known, so for me ity would have to be the honda K20 or F20. yes it will need a dry sump, but so will a busa, but the difference is you won't need to replace the engine as regularly!

I would bet that those people who run a Busa as a track car don't get more than 2 years use out of the engine before it needs refreshing, or replacing.

They may be cheap, but each blow up means a new oil cooler, and new oil lines to make sure that you don't contaminate the new engine, otherwise the replacement motor may only last minutes...I have seen the effects of this, though thankfully not had to pay the price!

Car engine everytime, it's going in a car after all!

Car engine everytime, it's going in a car after all!

Oh yes...

My brother summed it up recently when discussing options with a BEC owner, with said owner asking all sorts of bike related questions like using bike part this and bike part that; "Too much bike, not enough car." says my bro...

you would be suprised how much pain I gave a standard busa on track over a period of 18months I forget the track miles I did in that car but it was a lot  :love:  :cool:  andmechanically  it was as good when I sold it as the day I got it all be it the body look liked it had been shot blasted  :0  :0  and 4 years later its still running strong , maintainence is the key, regular oil changes nut and bolt checks ,  huge oil cooler to keep the temps down and its as right as rain, tuned Busas is a nother story and not something I would recomend  :bangshead:  :bangshead: