Toyota 4age

wozzer

Just in case you didn't get it:

Raw Engineering

And just in case I couldn't work this web thing out, it is:

www.rawengineering.co.uk

Dickie B

PS 3 wins out of 3 now...... God Bless those Japanese engine designers!

Has anybody experience of the supercharged 4AGE in a Westie - there was one fitted to a Fury (I think) at Stoneleigh - it looked like it may be too wide to fit in - but 200 bhp & 200 ft.lb would make a nice proposition

Steve

ACW - no curse on my engine - the land of the Rising Sun will look after me....

SteveF - The supercharged 4AGE will not fit in to a Westfield in standard format - you would have to do some work similar to John Marks in WW Dec01/Jan02 page 18. That said, it is a belter and I would love to have a drive. The Raw Fury that you refer to was sold at Stoneleigh (to someone who had a Westie with a Tracpac 1 engine). It does fit in to a Sylva Striker if you're interested.

Dickie B

firstly THANKS for all the info it is very helpfull.

I read that  ( the newer generation engines are optimised for FWD layout only and require considerable modification to fit into a RWD body shell in most cases. Bolting a FWD 4AGE to a RWD gearbox and mounting the unit in a car is the easy part - the difficulty lies in getting the intake systems and radiator plumbing to fit. The 20 Valve motor poses even more problems as the distributor is driven off the back of the exhaust cam and may need a firewall recess to fit unless some radical modifications are done to the ignition system.)

can any one tell me is this a real problem if so how much of a problem baring in mind I have very limited mechanical knowledge.

Thank you all again

Wozzer :D  :D  :durr:

If you are after a 4AGE engine, Fensport may be able to help you out

EDIT

#### - someone has already mentioned them. I, however can recommend them as I have an MR2 as well as a Westfield.

EDIT again

Blimey - "d a m n" isn't allowed by the swear filter

Fensport are helpful and good for Toyota cars but have not got a properly engineered solution for a Westfield type car in the way that Raw has.  

The engines Raw obtain have come out of FWD cars but the engine was originally designed for RWD so converting from one to the other is not a problem.  Raw do a conversion kit which includes bellhousing, spigot bearing, clutch, etc.  You can use a Toyota T50 gearbox (Fensport have them) which comes with the correct bellhousing but I'm told they're not as strong as the Type 9.

Cooling is a bit of an issue as the FWD cars have remote thermostats.  The best bet is to obtain a RWD thermostat (somewhat rare I'm told)  but all the cars Raw have done don't have a thermostat.  I know this isn't ideal in theory but in practice, and there's plenty of experience out there now, this does not seem to be causing any problems.  Just a slightly longer warm up time.

Intake system is not a problem.  Just needs a manifold from Raw and then carbs or TB's.

The distributor is not a problem as its best to ditch it and use an OMEX system with coil pack.  You then don't need to worry about any of the original wiring.

Raw will make sure it all works.  I have found them very helpful.