Toyota 4age

wozzer

I will hopefully soon  be building a seiw and i was looking in to fitting a zetec engine, but have just been pricing up the Toyota 4age from Raw engineering. Has anyone out there fitted or heard any reports about these engines (ease of fitting etc)? the price as far as i can tell is comparable to the zetec.  any info would be much appreciated. Thanks :blush:

Dickie B will hopefully be along shortly - the rotten begger has taken two 16 point maximums in his last two speed series outings with his new Toyota engine  :)  :D  :p  ;)

The toyota unit is a sweet little item

Your secret is out now Mr Brown  :cool:  :p  :devil:  :)  :D

That toyota engine in richard bwowns car looks and good option and a bit of a change from the vauxhall / ford route.

It's small and light witch is what you want in a westie.

As for raw engineering they put richards engine in for him and it look as if they have done a good job for a good price.

Hope you have fun building it.

I have a 92 Toyota corolla GTi which has the later spec 4age engine fitted, this I use for commuting and doing the shopping. My WEstfield has a ford Zetec 1800 fitted.

Knowing what I do now, I think the idea of fitting a 4age is a good one as these engines are compact and rev easily upto 7000rpm (in standard form kicking out about 150bhp @6800rpm). The only performance downside is the 100Ibsft maximum torque these engines produce, versus the 1800 Zetec which I think will easily produce 150Ibsft of torque.

Either way, if I was you I would also check out the 4agze, which is fitted with a supercharger giving 45% more torque and about 180-200bhp. This I think would be wicked in a Westifeld and might also be perfect with V8 bonnet!  :devil:

see

http://www.fensport.co.uk

for more information. Note I can't personally recommend them, but their website contains lots of information on 4age/4agze engine.

Good luck!

I'm just coming to the end of building a car with a 4AGE.  I tried various other engines before deciding and the 4AGE stood head and shoulders above the rest for me.  It's small, light and very revvy.  My rev limiter is set at 7900 at the moment although the standard engine is said to be safe to 8500.  Uprate the bottom end bolts and its happy to 10,000.

If you want to go this route definately use Raw Engineering.  They're great to deal with and you can get almost all the bits you need.  I've gone for throttle bodies which is the first they've done.  The only problem I've had is with the exhaust.  Their standard exhaust requires the engine to be be well forward as it would be in a narrow bodied car and to have the chassis modifed which I was not too keen on so I used a Westfield Zetec exhaust (port spacings are the same) and had Raw change the manifold flange for me.  It fits and works but I'm not impressed with the Westfield exhaust and I think its strangling the top end but I'm still getting 150 bhp.  The Omex ECU system that RAW sell is a must for simplicity.  I wouldn't attempt to use the original Toyota loom.

Be wary of just comparing power output.  Engine weight also makes a difference and I suspect some power outputs are either apocryphal or come from optimistic rolling roads.  Evidence suggests that a 4AGE witht heir Tracpac 1 cams can easily keep up with a 200 bhp Zetec/ VX.

Raw are building a 4AGZE Sylva Phoenix.  200bhp and 200 lbft at about 2000 rpm.  They've also put Omex traction control on it.  Getting the Supercharger and pipe work into a Westfield would be a squeeze but I've got so much room around mine that it may be possible.

If you want to talk it through and my experience of Raw mail me at simon@logistics.co.uk.

Tomo

I have the 4AGE Tracpac 1 from Raw Engineering. It's a gem to say the least. I've done 700miles in it now, all with a huge smile on my face! Not to mention TVRs, Lotus etc all firmly in my rear view mirror (oh yes, and some of the Class A and Class B (2litre) Speed Series competitors.

Email me off line, and I will give you my phone number for a chat

Richard Brown

westies@cwcom.net

Support should be OK as Westfield used to build cars with these engines for the Australian market.

John

Westfield don't offer any support.  I tried the line about Westfield Australia and was told that there is no connection between Westfield in UK and Westfield in Aus which seems odd.  Must have been a link once.  I believe Australian chassis' have to be much stiffer and be certified and so I think they are all made out there.

However you don't really need special support.  As far as Westfield are concerned I am building a Zetec but without engine mounts. Raw do the rest.  Gearbox is type 9.  Raw do the bellhousing.  Raw do the inlet manifold for Carbs or TB's.  I found that things like the Westfield / Piper air filters and zetec back plate fit because the port spacing is the same.  Raw fit the spigot bearing for you (the engines come out of FWD cars) and make some mods for cooling pipework to make it fit in RWD.  

Tomo

Nope the Aussie Westfield have no connection with Westfield UK  ;)

I've found the Aussie lot to be extremely helpful towards the WSCC all the same - I tried to meet up with them in January - but just missed each other  :(  and Aus is bl**** huuuuuuge  ;)

Rumour has it that the Toyota 4age unit is actually based on the Ford Xflow engine, even sharing the same bore/stroke. The bare facts; it is made in Japan so it will take a load of abuse, it is made in Japan so it will go like **** off a chrome shovel, and it is made in Japan so it will rev it's nads off without complaint. Like a big Jap bike engine really.....  :D Just buy now before people cotton on how good they are and the prices soar...... :angry:

I am in touch with Westfield Australia and they are proving extremely helpful - I will attempt an article for the mag soon. I know of people who have a reliable 350 BHP out of the block (with a turbo), and a less reliable 450 BHP without the block going. Now there's a tempting thought...

Richard

These higher outputs are being achieved by some from what they call twin charging, that is having both a supercharger and a turbocharger.

There are two great sites that tell you everything you could want to know about these engines including tuning :-

Phil Bradshaw and Bill Sherwood.

Even though theses engines have been used in UK supplied cars not all the variants came over here, e.g. the 20 valve.  Raw's engines come direct from Japan where they do much lower mikleage than we do and so given the quality of manufacture they have very little wear on them.  Raw now have a 20 valve'r working.  Its an interesting option as it already comes with throttle bodies but its very expensive to tune because of the cams.

Wozzer, have you had a test drive with Raw?  Try their car and then a Zetec.  I promise you there will be no decision to make then.