Buying an SEIGHT

BONER

Your average Seight with all the trimmings will come in at around 730kg I'm afraid.  My stripped out sprint car weighs 660kg with no exotic bits and a full screen/wipers.  I'd imagine it would be very difficult to get one down to 600kg.

One advantage the Seight has is huge power.  300HP will mean you never have to worry about wind resistance - you will blow off any supercar even at 3 figure speeds.  Take 60-100mph, a 1.8 Zetec takes 27 seconds (slower than a 2 litre Mondeo!;), a 300HP V8 in a stripped out car will do it in 4 seconds.  OK, so on road tyres they are not ultimately as fast as a Vx on the sprints/hills, but the engines are a #### of a lot cheaper and they are quicker in a straight line.  Perfect for overtaking on the road!

Ian

Mmmm...

The autotrader SEiGHT does sound a bit fishy... might give him a buzz 2night and post what I find out later!

The 4.6 V8 Beastie is V. NICE! As is always the way it's £2.5K out of my budget AND the car is in BELFAST! - A***!!!

Still it seems there are a few coming out of the woodwork now... which is good!

And if it has a TVR engine in it then subtract 50HP from the claim!

b*******....I've got a 4.3 TVR V8!!!  :(

Re: "Why a V8"  just to echo everything that's been said already, driving something so comparatively light with so much power/torque makes for very relaxed, but very rapid progress...and of course there's the noise... :D  :D  :D... oh, and as an added bonus you get to know your local petrol station attendants very well...

Simon

so you lot recon the v8 in Belfast sounds like a good un?

Its within my price range, i initially wanted a megablade, not for any reason other than i had a ride in a megabusa and i loved it, the sheer speed was amazing.

Why may i ask drop 50bhp if its a tvr engine?

And how much do they get mph when driven hard :) no worse than a megablade i take it?

Would i have to re register the Belfast car on a uk plate? it looks like it already has a uk plate, anyone know? (dont want to keep  wasting the dudes time, unless we and mrs flap think its a contender, ive already mailed the chap, gave me some answers : ) )

P.s whats the chance of me getting a ride in a v8? lol anyone neer stoke?, there is a pub lunch in it for you

Catflap,

What I reckon you should do, it to buy the car right now and bring it back to England. Drive it around for a few weeks, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. After a few weeks, I'm sure you'll have got bored, so you should get it washed and serviced, then re-sell it (bearing in mind that it'll have depreciated by a couple of grand because you'll have doubled the mileage). I think I might know of a buyer!

Seriously, though, I'd go and look at it if I were you, once you've done the background research and found out as much about it as possible. Can you find out anything about the company that built it? Maybe speak to them and find out whether they remember the car, and what they did with it? Who exactly builds a car, spends that much on tuning it, and then only drives it 700 miles? N-reg is quite old, has it lived in a nice warm garage or out in the rain?

I was sorely tempted by it, but it's a bit more than I wanted to spend (Mrs C_772 gave me a very disapproving look!), and Belfast is an awfully long way from Buckinghamshire. I'll wait for something a bit older, tattier and cheaper.

Andy.

ps. if you want a ride in one, give Jon Moss at Westfield a call and ask him for a demo - he's a very obliging chap, and he's got a very nice car... :D

Andy.

My only concern is that it wont live up to my expectations, after the busa, well i think ive spoiled myself, troub is there are few second hands ones around, and none for my price, mrs flap thinks we should save like mad and get a nice one from the factory (second hand if they get one in)

Im in no rush, its just goto be fast LOL

My only concern is that it wont live up to my expectations, after the busa.

They had two second hand ones in only a couple of weeks ago. Both looked very, very similar to the demo car.

You need to decide what you want from it. The Busa and V8 are very different cars.

If you only want 0-60 times then buy a Hayabusa Motorbike and blow us all off at the lights. :cool:  :D

Why may i ask drop 50bhp if its a tvr engine?

Because the TVR Power Rover engines always seem to produce a lot less horsepower than they claim.  I know a number of people with 5.0 TVRs which are supposed to put out 320-340HP depending on year.  Most make 260-290HP and I've never heard of one putting out 300HP.  Another friend had the '275HP' 3.9 and it made 225HP.  All of the TVR sprinters know and accept this, but at then end of the day it deosn't really matter because the cars are still quick.  Incidentally the new AJP engines DO make the quoted power.

Have a look here for more info.  Also, I reckon the 25% losses they quote are way over the top, around 15-18% being more normal.  For comparison I once had a bog standard 3.5 tested on the rollers which were used in that article and it made 133HP at the wheels.  For another comparison my 281HP John Eales engine made 248HP at the wheels on Dave Walker's (of CCC mag) rollers which are widely accepted as being very accurate - I know that's only 12% but John said it would pick up another 10HP after a season and DW said it was 299HP at the flywheel.

Regards,

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a couple of weeks' holiday, and looking to go out and buy a SEiGHT straight away to make going back to work that bit more bearable.

Are there any advertised for sale? Are they heck.

Where've they all gone?

Andy.