20 year old Westie ?

Tim Ellershaw

Hi All,

I've just spotted a 1989 Narrowbody onPistonHeads.

Right engine ( 2.0l Zetec)

Well within my (limited) budget.

... but should I be worried by its age?

Anything fundamental that I should know about : "oh the lower widget sprocket mounting  always fall off after 19 years" type stuff.

I accept that any car is going to show some signs of age after 2 decades: fading paint, a few bumps bangs, stone chips, etc. but wondered if there was anything more Westfield specific I'm likely to miss.

Thanks very much for your help,

Tim.

( and yes, I know the big wheels on this one are not everybodies cup of tea  ???  )

Hi, I drine a 89 chassis compleated in 91 and love it. As these cars have constant upgrades you shouldnt have too many issues. The fact that it has a zetec in says its had some modernization. Ian

Tim,

Mine is an 87 SE with 2.0lLredtop and still running strong. At that age you go purely on condition. Just check the back end around the fuel tank for any excess rust to the chassis members.

After that its all about spending money on the desired upgrades and providing you don't  go carbon mad,  you should come out with justy enough money left for food.

Tony

Hi Tim,

Yes a 20 year car may show signs of age but that can be addressed and once it is, the car will look up to date unlike a 20 year old Fiesta for example.

Tiggs

Nothing too much to worry about age wise other than general condition of the chassis. Most Westfields lead a pampered life other than a good ragging every now and again. It looks like this one may have been cared for so just make sure the over all condition is ok and its priced about right IMO. A Zetec on throttle bodies in a SE in good condition is going to be worth 5-6k again IMO. Take a look at it or better still take someone along that knows a little about Westfields to have a look at it.

By the way my sprint car is 18 years old and won its last sprint against a modified Nobel and an Exige so not too much to worry about. ;)

Mines a 1988 SEi wide and still in fine fettle  ;)  :D  :D

One thing to bear in mind with Se narrow body cars is that of availability replacement parts  ;)  ;)

As others have said - condition counts for a lot, good looking spec   Personally I would have thought 17rims would give a very harsh ride; but that's my opinion.

Rust on the rear chassis ( look under neath) is something to look out for,  look carefully at the build quality , the detail of parts fitmement, wiring etc, rest is like a normal car.

If its been painted find out why, body  is very durable and paint can be used to cover up faults

As others have said, mines an 89 narrow body.

The one on piston heads, id be looking at the following..

The hood fitting, the rear section doesnt look right.

As said, with that size wheels, it will not be riding/handling at its best.

Type of roll bar?

Have a drive and take a fellow member along with you for a 2nd opinion.

Join the WSCC

Enjoy  :cool:

Thank you everybody.

Only had a look at a couple of narrow bodies - will be interesting to see if I can squeeeeze in to it !  ;)

( I'm just under 6feet tall, and about 13.5stone,  so not huge. Have struggled to get my hips in one I tried, but seemed ok in another. Probably dependant on seats and trim I guess ? )

A quick search on here suggests there are plenty bigger than me with Narrow bodies.

Cheers,

Tim.

I live out close to cambs, and we have never seen this car at any of our meets. Old is not an issue, condition is.

Check under fuel tank, and the condition of the trailing arms, especially the brackets at the chassis, these are known to crack/break on older cars....esspecially as they now have twice the BHP they started with.

Look inside the rear wheel arch to see if the gap beteen the body and the interior ali side panels have been sealed, many are not and all the water/crud gets "stored in here".

The rear of teh hood looks like the rear supports are nbot in place, but best check that they have them.

car looks good, but some people do have issues with megasquirt, so i would be keen to make sure it is mapped properly, so check how it drives, as it should drive like a "normal tin top" if mapped well, not in performance termns, but in temperment.

Some £ has been spent on it, so why the choice of kit, like why did he choose Gaz over any other brand? etc., should give you some confidence in if the seller knows his onions or if the kit was available.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help.

I am now the proud owner of Q228 HAC a 1990 WSEi (not the one in the original advert in this thread, but was advertised on this forum) :

Westfield.jpg

Brand new 2.0 Zetec, with a RaceLine 160 kit

Twin Weber 40's

Omex 100 ECU

Body work needs a bit of attention (replacing ?  :oops:  )

and some of the dash electrics are "interesting" but it will give me something to do over the coming months.

1st Step is MOT on Tuesday.

If anybody knows any history for this car I would be very interested to hear from them.

Cheers,

Tim.

Well done and enjoy your car. Just one thing be mindful in wet conditions. There is more than one person on here caught out by the wet in there new purchase.  ;)

Well done and enjoy your car. Just one thing be mindful in wet conditions. There is more than one person on here caught out by the wet in there new purchase.  ;)

I am one of these persons.  :bangshead:  

Lesson 1 for me was : no heavy right foot when in second gear on wet pavement. Positive point : it gave me an excuse to spend some pounds for bodywork repair and a new paint...  :down:

edit : I almost forgot : WELCOME

Warning duly noted: Not had chance to drive it very far (no MOT) but it is quite obvious that it could catch me out if I’m not concentrating.

Currently running in the gray area between scared sh’less and fantastically enjoyable.