Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

has been a while - not done too much but here is the latest

body has been lifted off the car to allow access to tack in the framework around the footwells - currently the body is outside and has enjoyed snow and whatever else the weather has seen fit to throw at it - the chassis has been outside for a bit under a cover as the westy has the steering column removed (sent to Westfield to have the QR welded on) and is taking up the garage

so have been busy making up brackets for the steering column - the column will pass over the top of the rear most frame and under the one at the front

first job was to bend some 25mm flat to make up the bracket - I found an old socket just ever so slightly smaller than the column (to make it the right size once it has sprung back to shape) and stuck it in the vice to bend

SANY2760.jpg

picture shows both bits now bent and trial fitted

SANY2763.jpg

made up flats and drilled to suit and then tacked on

SANY2764.jpg

last two piccies show the front and rear brackets ready for tacking onto the framework when I get the chassis back in the garage

SANY2766.jpg

SANY2767.jpg

should be getting the westy column back by the end of the week all being well so should be able to make quicker progress  :t-up:

Thanks Russ - trying my best within what ability, time and budget I have  :blush:

Tony - yup finally off my PHAT a** and back in the garage

Just had a measure up of the floor framework now the bodywork is off - everything is spot on  :t-up:

next jobs:

tack in foot well framework

tack on steering column brackets

start to look at fuel tank mounting

maybe look at the seat belt framework

look at seat mounting points

think about fitting a roll bar then talk myself out of it

westy steering column should be being despatched back to me today ready for fitting at the weekend - lets hope its a dry weekend so I can get the westy to work and out of the way - then I really need to get my finger out and start making some faster progress on this project

SANY2771.jpg

by the way Dave I have finished with the rivnut tool (used it once and struggled with it so went out and bought a new one) will drop you a line to arrange popping it back over - cheers fella  :t-up:

thanks Frank - good to be back (not sure if a few others would agree  :laugh:  :blush: )

tonights half hour of garage action sees a start on the engine as the rest of the motor is outside

as usual the first nut that a spanner went on turned out to be a total ball ache - on the inside bend of the exhaust manifold making it impossible to get a normal spanner on, so I ended up grinding away at a perfectly good spanner (my one and only Snap On spanner  :down: ) to get it to fit - anyway a few grazed knuckles later the exhaust system was off and new J-pipes to replace the heat exchangers were temp fitted

SANY2774.jpg

will be interesting to see the engine without all the tin and exhaust stuff on - sparrows knee cap springs to mind

a slightly smaller looking engine

SANY2782.jpg

looks like some of the tin ware will need to be repaired as there appear to be a few small cracks plus an odd bracket broken off - be interesting to see how I get on with the mig with the thin stuff - will maybe have to place the tin on some steel to take heat away and do continuous spot welds to avoid making holes - time will tell

heat exchangers (exhaust pipe runs through the exchanger and heats up the outer cased area with fins running through - there is then a flap on the end of the exchanger that can be operated by a lever next to the hand brake cable - this then provides hot air to the occupants - the air is pushed out as it is plumbed in to the air cooling) - probably quite ingenious back in those days  :suspect:

new J pipes and old heat exchangers

SANY2776.jpg

looks great this - I suppose chrome is gonna look too tarty, so I will probably go for a black finish which is I guess in keeping

SANY2783.jpg

look forward to seeing all the shiny bits on the engine mate :t-up:

if you need a hand give me a shout ;)

hi Tony - talking of shiney bits, I stuck some up on the table tonight to give some encouragement to get the engine cleaned up  :D

will get the westy out the way I will give ya a shout - how's work? got owt on?

stripped down engine further tonight - first job was to get the pulley off - more tool grinding required as my first attempt of using the puller on the outside of the pulley resulted in it just bending - after a bit of grinding and a few sharp blows with the hammer it started to shift

as you can see the puller arms are well wedged in

SANY2789.jpg

intake, carb and fan housing removed

SANY2791.jpg

the sparrows knee cap - seriously it's the all alloy engine which you all know is the best choice   ;)

SANY2790.jpg

the motivation

SANY2793.jpg

off to read up on the best way of cleaning up alloy - guess some acid based cleaner?

off to read up on the best way of cleaning up alloy - guess some acid based cleaner?

de grease it then a lot of hard work with good old sovol autosol.  :D

lewis

It's going to be something to be proud of when you finally get it on the road.

Superb effort and well done for sticking with it.

Dave

Since you're buying new bits, just get new tins - you'll get the lot for about £50. A new fan shroud would be good too :)

Didn't the high performance ones have silver tins?

Thanks Lewis - have got gunk already plus been out tonight and got some wheel cleaner (mild acid based) which I shall try to see if this works

I shall only bother polishing the bits that will show - as you know most of the engine is covered by the tinware - I want to get the rest of the alloy wire brushed up and clean though - trouble is all the fins that are going to be a total b***h I reckon so was hoping to get a fairly agressive cleaner (such as wheel cleaner) to remove the worst - failing that I sell some acid based cleaners at work which I may try

need to do some more research on perhaps a bikers website to what they might use

Sam - I have looked at getting new tinware although to renew everything is going to cost!! the fan housing I may nenew as I see they sell them as "without heater" types, so they have no pipes for the heat exchangers to connect up to -

not seen any with silver tinware on pictures I have of similar cars - I believe it is generally considerd to be a good idea not to have too much silver chrome bling etc for cooling reasons - so I shall stick with a satin black I think

If ya fancy popping over fella just let me know - pick your brains I will  :D

Bernie - yup shades to be donned for the bling  :laugh:

Dave - would be nice to get it to Stoneleigh this year, trouble is I doubt if it will be done in time and I doubt if I would have the balls to take it that far  :laugh:

Well the column arrived back from Westfield today with QR welded up - top marks to Westfield, very good service and quick turnaround and quality job done too - £48 inc vat and inc return postage to me --- very good

so shall get the westy back together this weekend and if the weather allows take it back to work

then full on Spyder action can commence