Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Just another note from an admirer....lol :blush:

Seriously, nice to watch a build thread about something offbeat.....

Keep at it, yer making inroads into my lazy Westfield conscience.. I might go and roll her out of the garage tomorrow.... :blush:

1st of December and Santa’s been dropping parcels of at my house  :xmas: thanks Clark!  :t-up:   

You were suppose to keep the tap to run through the bosses after welding them in  :bangshead: don't you listen to anything your told  :laugh:

Tony good to hear your making a start on it soon, take it your bathrooms nearing completion then?

just give us a ring when your ready and me and Clark will pop over.

cheers dave    will do :D

thanks Lippydave - now get in your garage and sort yer westy out  :p

the missus had a gaggle of lady friends around tonight so I was more than happy to get in the garage for a good couple of hours

first job was to temp refit the pedals to get a feel for just how high they are - I remember when sitting in the car on my short test drive and feeling like the pedals were were me knees should be (slight exaggeration there  :laugh: ) - I did find on the rebuild the correct way of re-fitting the plate underneath the pedal pivots - it has two lugs on, that stop the pedals from flopping forwards, this must have been in the wrong way around as the pedals used to come right out

on the clutch pedal I have 23cm from top of travel to foot right down and 21cm for the brake pedal - I dont know what clearance is required but I am banking on that the pedals could be set quite a bit lower than they are with those measurements - I may be able to drop the clutch pedal down simply by adjusting the cable, the brake pedal I may be able to do by altering the rod that goes into the master cylinder - I am thinking that the pedals may be one of the later jobs on the trial build, I reckon I will need the brakes bled and the engine gearbox on to see just what adjustment I have - either way this is good news as I was tinkering with the idea of fitting a pedal box which would have added further expense

SANY2638.jpg

SANY2639.jpg

SANY2641.jpg

tonight's main job was start making up the framework that will make up the footwell area and the steering column support - you cannot see it very well in these piccies - just shows the first piece temp dropped in - just need to chop out the fibreglass where it will sit and then make up the footwell sections, I may think about lining this with aluminium???

SANY2642.jpg

just resting in place - dremel out tomorrow to let it drop onto the chassis

SANY2645.jpg

SANY2643.jpg

need to make up some sort of bracket to hold the column in place - probably westfield style

believe it or not the steering column previously had no support whatsoever other than running through the tub and the dashboard !!!

decided to re-spot weld the steering column support tonight - wasnt 100% happy with it last night as it rocked ever so slightly when rested on the table - this time got it spot on  :t-up:

SANY2646.jpg

cut some slots in the fibreglass so that the frame sits onto the floorpan edges - there will be a similar but smaller frame further into the footwell - it will then all be joined up

it is appearing like I might just have well built a whole new chassis  :laugh:  -

now this is coming together I am thinking of now extending the framework backwards - just came across this image on da web -- mmm  looks like I am sorta heading in this direction

galvanisedchassisandframe.jpg

now busy making up a bracket to go around the steering column - I have some spare alloy spacers that I had made up for the westy - I may well use these so I can move the column up and down

SANY2653.jpg

Hey Cleggy

What's happening?  I need an update fix and it's been over a week since the last one.  

Frank  :blues:

:D  hey Frank

to tell the truth not much

however I have been busy in the garage trying to create room - so made up various brackets for the gazebo and bikes etc to get them out of the way - also made up a table to work on -

hopefully and update tonight maybe  :)

thanks fella  :t-up:  video was worth a watch too - interesting gearbox technology on the new spyder

hi cleggy

when i was looking through the pics it looked like you was starting to use wood for the floor  panels?? :laugh:  

Glad to see it moving again mate.  

By the way sorry we didnt get a chance to talk much at the meal the other day.

I spent yesterday sorting the garage out and doing bits on the car, and im refitting as much as possible today so i can get it back on the road. Im fed up not being able to drive it. (I need a fix  :p )

Keep at it mate

tony

hi cleggy

when i was looking through the pics it looked like you was starting to use wood for the floor  panels?? :laugh:  

Glad to see it moving again mate.  

By the way sorry we didnt get a chance to talk much at the meal the other day.

I spent yesterday sorting the garage out and doing bits on the car, and im refitting as much as possible today so i can get it back on the road. Im fed up not being able to drive it. (I need a fix  :p )

Keep at it mate

tony

using wood - its not a morgan  :laugh:  :laugh:

we will catch up next time chap - I was official childrens entertainer trying to keep my boys amused and Marks   ;):laugh:

I too need a fix of car action too - the roads have just not dried out enough to warrent me getting my A*** into gear

very happy as always to pop over chap and have a cuppa one evening and get me hands dirty too - cannot beat getting stuck in  

at what stage are you at with it? got the timing done yet?

all the best

Cleggy

not yet mate, just fitted all the exhaust manifolds,water pipes, repaired some brackets, got rid of a bit of surface rust and sprayed it in.   waiting for paint to dry so that i can fit the box and seal it. I can then fit the rocker cover which i can modify at a later date hopefully and the rest of the heater pipes.

got a new cambelt ready to fit also. Oil change complete. Battery charged etc.

So its coming along :t-up:  take you up on yours and daves offer soon (I keep saying it)

speak soon

tone

• 4 weeks later...

OK Cleggy, hows it been going these last few weeks? Any more progress to report?

Welcome back by the way.

The Gleggster is back now thats 2 good bits of news this week. Come on mate where's our next install of picky's???

Buzz