Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

If you guys have got any comments - post away  :D

Looks like your going to be busy Mate    :oops:     :D

Did Stevie Wonder wire it up    ???     :D     :oops:

Is there a couple of wires hanging down in the top of the photo not attached to anything     ???

All the Best with it     :t-up:

love the car cleggy :)  :)  :)   theres a place in castle donnington where i work called absolute vw   always got loads of vws in  good luck with it  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

SANY1227.jpg

Nice and tidy  :D good to see all the wires neatly out the way of the pedals  :bangshead:

a potential death trap - yup those are loose wires exposed

interesting to see if they are live?

The Sway a way adjusters are welded in the middle of the beam ( if it has them ) and are easy to spot 1 top and 1 bottom.

In each tube are a number of leafs that stretch the length on the beam,  if you clean up the square ends of the two swinging arms ( in your picture ) you will be able to see the ends of the leafs.

Therefore the  adjusters should only adjust the ride height equally at both ends.  If the beam is bolted on square to the chassis by my reckoning there's only a few reasons why the ride height is different on each side.

1. Body not on square

2. Dampers not the same lengths ( maybe ones knackered )

3. Twisted leafs ( doubtfull )

Then again i could be totally wrong.  :p

A local VW guy has come back with this info

the ride height of the front being un even is caused by snapped torsion leaves in the front beam.. you will need a set of leaves for a king and link pin beam but its easier to fing a complete beam for a bug than just the leaves.

Ooopps Looks like some of the leaves may have twisted too much, was on the right track anyway lol. :D

If your going to change them just remember if you take the hub off, the two link pins that go into the torsion ( swing ) arms are shimmed. Don't do what i did and drop the shims on the floor then have no idea how many shims each pin has and where. :laugh: They are held in by a plate and an  'O' ring seal, but when you take the hub off and lay it down they inevitably slide down the pin and fall out. ;)

If you want the ride height  to be adjustable though, may just as well buy another beam that includes the leaves with sway aways already fitted.

yup think your right m8 ... it's gonna cost a few quid but it will sort the problem and tidy up the front no end

it's gonna cost a few quid

Welcome to the world of bugging. :p   At least your not going to lose much, if anything, when you decide to sell it.

If the beam route gets a bit expensive, on the machine 7 site the leaves are £88 i think and a set of sway aways sourced else where are about £25. Just need a friendly bod who knows what he's doing to weld them in.

Have found  with Beetles that you get to know a lot of the locals with VW's very quickly and they will probably know somebody who could do it for a few beer tokens or a small bag of, lets say 'stuff'. :laugh:

Just get the new beam with the sway-a-ways in as spence says.

The floorpan looks saveable - get the wire brush wheel on your angle grinder and get busy. You don't want to replace if you can help it - the chassis has been shortened from standard so any repair panels you buy will probably need lots of fiddling with to fit.

theres a place in castle donnington where i work called absolute vw   always got loads of vws in

Learn something every day I guess -been past there a few times - like the vans !

b****y glad we never drove it home cleggy.

its a bit naff under there mate.

whoever the hell wired it up needs his :arse: kicked

never mind we have every faith in your conjoogerlies lol

keep at it.

thanks ... I do sometimes look back at it as I walk out of the garage and think what the devil have I got myself into

gonna be happier when this chap looks at the suspension on Saturday - If that can be sorted by him and he can confirm that there is not a problem with the bodywork I reckon I can sort the rest with some elbow grease

well an update as to where I am at

I have spent the last few nights removing bits n pieces such as carpets and other trim

much of the car is a bodge - every bolt is much longer than needed  :laugh: - the wiring is incredible and I keep find stuff

picture below shows the rear body work section which is now ready to come off once my chap has looked at the ride heights - Please note the brolley to hold up the rear section (apparently the car has always used this  :D ) and the mega base speakers which are coming out

SANY1251.jpg

SANY1260.jpg

SANY1255.jpg

now by my reckoning there is a major sdafety issue with the seatbelts - the strap goes through the fibreglass slot at the top, so surely if you were unlucky enough to have a crash your body would just continue on as the fibreglass was ripped through - so got some thinking to do there

rear wiring is all labelled up ready for rear section removal - when off I shall get rid of all the bullet connectors and take the wiring right back and replaced as needed - ready for new and proper waterproof type connectors

this will make it much easier for future body off repair work

SANY1254.jpg

thought I would show this one again - makes me laugh and cry at the same time - so glad I didnt try to drive the car back from London  

I have spoken to Spyder Engineering today about making up a new bespoke alloy fuel tank - hoping they can do foam filled for a bit of added safety

SANY1250.jpg