Wind deflectors

wildwesty

Took my son out for a drive, all was well at below 40 but between 40 & 60 he wasnt to chuffed with the battering he got from the wind.

Do you know any company that make a deflector that could strap onto the roll bar behind the seats to cut down the wind like you would find on many other sports conv.

OR are they pointless and dont help anyway?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wildwesty

• pincher

• scott beeland

• Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

Can't advise whether they're any good on the Westie, or where to get one, but I can say it made a huge difference when friend of mine fitted one to his MX5

HTH,

Steve

I made one from a spare bit of clear acrylic and fixed it to the std rollbar with four black gutter downspout brackets, I thought it looked ok, (not too out of place iyswim) I didnt think it made a lot of difference, but the Wife thought it was an improvement, it cut down on the cold draught on the back of the neck a bit .

Another home made one, not sure how well it works as the car hasnt been driven in anger yet ! It looks OK though, made from Perspex and aluminium with foam wrapped around the roll bar to protect the paint ! Still not sure how to support the bottom edge though as it will flap in wind !

DSC09521.jpg

i imagine with a combination of this and some deflecters or side screens it should make a sensible difference. On my old man's 6 series it makes an unbelievable difference. I think most of the wind comes from behind when driving my car.

It dosent need to be solid, it needs to have air flow through it or you'll just get swirling air trapped between it and the windscreen. Most purpose made deflectors are made of mesh. There was a company selling them at donington. It was edged mesh with velcro fastnings around the roll bar. wouldnt be hard to knock up with the aid of a seamstress.

Have you thought about buying some Mercedes SLK seats? They have a nice hot air vent in the head rest that keeps the back of your head/neck toasty. :D

Tubs

Another home made one, not sure how well it works as the car hasnt been driven in anger yet ! It looks OK though, made from Perspex and aluminium with foam wrapped around the roll bar to protect the paint ! Still not sure how to support the bottom edge though as it will flap in wind !

DSC09521.jpg

Thats exactly like mine, right down to the fixings, mine is made from 4mm clear acrylic (perspex) and didnt flap in the wind at the centre bottom.  :t-up:

I would expect nothing else from you lot  :p  :arse:

thanks for the sensible answers, anyone know who the company was selling the deflector at donnington? or how to find out?

oh a gap in the market....... heated seats ???

I've toyed with heated seats myself. They would be far lighter and more effective than the heater. I did find a company who provide a retrofitable kit too that can be slipped into vinyl seats, but  this idea got bumped down the to do list by my thirst for power...

Ben

Thats exactly like mine, right down to the fixings, mine is made from 4mm clear acrylic (perspex) and didnt flap in the wind at the centre bottom.  :t-up:

:t-up:  Great minds i guess !! Good to hear it didnt flap in the wind aswell ! This was my first off prototype after the cardboard version to get the size right !!  :p

The brackets were made as that was all i had, sounds like a plan using guttering clamps to fit it though, i hadnt thought of them !  :t-up: