Carpet or paint?

catflap

seems like one #### of a job, I would have to remove the fibreglass shell to get all of the panels out.

This is def a winter job, maybe a carpet tunnel on Velcro will do in the mean time :)

Just pulled out my spa instruments to send them off to get them checked,  one job at a time!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catflap

• Blatman

• scott beeland

• steppenwolf

Top Posters In This Topic

We got carpets (tunnel & floor) for £65, from co. in Wigan, We had to send pattern to them, but they did a really good job.   :)

I've got carpets, came with the car, now in the garage, having got sick of them being soggy, dirty and hiding ickle stones (IMO, cockpit looks better in bare ali anyway and lack of rugmess further reduces the need for a heater).

Oh, I forgot to ask...how do carpets make it go faster?

:cool:  :p  :D

Of course carpets help the car go faster ... it's all to do with ground effect and the capillary attraction of the air molecules to the carpet fibres. For a full explanation, visit the following page:-

Ground Effect

Now how about sticky back plastic, the carbon effect type :)

or are we getting a little too blue peter

Drill out rivets, cover in plastic, re rivet :)

Then plonk a carpet over the tunnel, rubber mat the floor

Will have to leave the side panels alloy, as I don’t fancy pulling the shell off.

Could even make side protectors out of the carbon plastic :)

Sticky back carbon...............

Try www.max-power.com/no-class

:0  :0  :devil:  :devil:

Interior panels *should* come out without having to take the body off. I was contemplating removing a couple of interior panels myself next week, but I have an alternative fix for my problem. Body work removal was never a question.....

i cant see how the side panels come out withought the body work being first removed, i notice on your car blat you have some sort of additional panel is it also true that most of the carbon is fibre glass reinforced anyway? so the carbon is just for looks not weight saving (like I originally thought)

Carbon isn't much lighter than ally interior panels, but it'll be a good deal stronger in certain areas/directions. Size for size, it is much stronger than fibreglass. I doubt it is of any benefit in an accident, so I guess you could say it's more for looks than any safety/weight saving reason, although the amount I have must save a fair amount of weight too. You can't dent carbon, though, and it's much easier to keep clean.

I bought the car as you see it, I didn't "upgrade"........and I don't have any extra, or different panels in my car, I don't think. Which panels do you mean?

The sticky back carbon looks crap, IMO (but what does my opinion count anyway?). I think that some of my panels are fibreglass backed. I don't know why, 'cos I've never asked. The chap who built my car is one of those fellas who only does things for a good reason. He has helped me (and many others) over the years, and all of his tips have, without exception, been the answer I was looking for. This is why I haven't questioned the use of fibreglass backing, and why I'm not bothered by it. My diffuser and boot panels are carbon/ally honeycomb just like on an F1 car, and are considerably lighter and stronger than an equivalently sized peice of (any) metal. If I had ally panels (actually, I do, in my hillclimb Westfield, whose interior panels DEFINITELY come out without dismounting the body)  which I wanted to change/cover, I'd get 'em out and powdercoat 'em, fitting rubber mats (like I have) into the footwells. Light, functional, weatherproof, and a doddle to clean and dry after a wet run. No risk of mould either........

I am getting the impression of crossed wires here. I think Catflap means the panels between the chassis and the bodywork, the only ones visible on the inside on a lot of BEC cars, which wouldnt be accessable without removal of bodywork. There again I could be wrong.... ???

Thats the ones Stu :)

I was just in the process of sorting some pics out.

I figure i will have a big job to powder coat them all, so ill just get a carpet tunnel for the mo, i don’t relay want o remove the shell.

:cool: Whilst I was spannering up my Westicle I sucked many a tooth while pondering how to fit out the interior. Eventually my mother came to the rescue and covered the internal alloy side panels in maroon, flock wallpaper. She then used off cuts of her bathroom lino in the footwells. I’ve now run the car for over 30,000 mile and flock and lino are as new.

flock and lino

Ahh ....... The Lawrance Llewyllyn Bowen ......... Indian restaurant motif  :)  :D  :p  very fetching.  :)