Topic Lock

V 8

I am re opening this topic as I have an opinion aswell.

1. Rules are rules. If the guy has to make a donation to the club, why not make that donation £25 and become a member. He can then post himself.

2. If special dispensation has been made, then be transparent about it from the outset.

3. Why has the topic now been locked, seems a bit big brotherish to me.

4. If a topic is to be deleted, it seems reasonable that common courtesy should prevail with some sort of warning/notification or the like. I had a post deleted twice when I posted on behalf of another member. A little courtesy call would have prevented a whole lot of bother, as in this case.

I suppose this will be deleted now.......... :down:

Edited to add, if the topic is now locked, then replies to the advert can't be made, or BTTT. Is the young lad going to get his donation back now? What a dangler up, bit of forthought needed IMHO

Have to agree.

If there is an exception being made then be transparent. When I posted I was not aware whether it was a friend or what the sitaution was. Which is why I said if there is a valid reason then fine...

I don't think moderation should ever reach the point where a member of the club cannot question club rules or adherence to them.

That said I agree it was a good move to help the lad out. But I now know the situation...

My main probelm is with people who seek to take the mickey and be-little someone who feels they have a grievance - not helpful in the slightest. I love the club and feel that the people who run it make it the best 7 club there is bar none.

Well why not say that then. Just another action to provoke an adverse reaction :t-up:

Read the last post of the thread that has been locked. It says that the original ad was deleted twice as it broke the rules, after which the Chairman was contacted and a resolution sought.

As the advert was then posted by the Club Chairman, what in effect you are saying is that you don't trust the Chairman (or anyone else on the Committee for that matter) to use his discretionary powers appropriately or in the best interests of the WSCC and it's members. Fair enough, *anyone* can ask the question, but bring some evidence of this malpractice at the very least. If a pattern of malpractice can be established or proved then action will be taken. HOWEVER if there is no clear evidence of deliberate malpractice that is clearly to the disadvantage of WSCC members, then action should be taken against those who falsely accuse a Club Official. It happens occasionally, but we let it go. In future we may not, if a robust Guilty/Not Guilty argument is called for during a public examination of motives and execution of Committee decisions. In the same way the Committee members must be accountable for their mistakes, maybe we should take a stronger line with folk who falsely accuse Committee members of malpractice. To do so in public without proper evidence is libellous if the acusation is untrue and it leaves a poor taste in the mouth. I assume if a Committee member was found guilty of malpractice, sanction would be sought. The same should go for those who are found to be incorrect in their accusations. If we're going to be fair, lets make fairness a two way street.

Yes, of course exceptions can be made to the rules if deemed appropriate, but they are at the discretion of the Committee only, not any Tom, Dick or Harry who wants to try it on.

I've already spent far too much time this weekend reviewing adverts and constructing responses to stupid questions, false accusations and nannying people who apparently can't read plain English. I want it to stop. Now. The rules on posting adverts on behalf of others is simple. Don't. If you do, it will be deleted as it is against the rules. I thought it was simple enough.

it also seems strange that there is a section for ebay and other such sites yet a member can not help a friend out by posting an item on there behalf especially when the item is westfield related.it was said that the megablade owner s insurance was cancelled by the insurance company .seems strange that the same person is asking for px for tvr griffith or cosworth when he cant afford to pay the extra the insurance company were asking .i had a quote on a tvr tasmin 2.8 which was £1400 and i was 37 at the time. :0

it also seems strange that there is a section for ebay and other such sites yet a member can not help a friend out by posting an item on there behalf especially when the item is westfield related.it

The Ebay links are, by definition, not necessarilly links to Ebay ads that have been placed by members, so as far as I can see, posting a link to an Ebay item in the Ebay forum is just fine *regardless* of who owns the Ebay item in question.

so in other words  a non member cant put a for sale ad up or reply to a for sale ad but could post an ad link to his ad on pistonheads for example

Yes and no... only members can post to the Ebay section AFAIK, but they can post up a link to a  mates Ebay listing if they want to. That's why it was set up, so that members can draw attention to Ebay sales that may be of interest, regardless of where the Ebay sale comes from. That's also why the disclaimer is worded the way it is on the Ebay forum link on the index page.

I've already spent far too much time this weekend reviewing adverts and constructing responses to stupid questions, false accusations and nannying people who apparently can't read plain English.

Stupid questions are only so from the perception of the reader, have a little patience.

I have to say that the club secretarys resonse seems a little OTT. If we cannot question the comittees' decisions on behalf of OUR club, then perhaps I will have to think again about renewing my membership of a club when the comittee appear to believe can do what they want and threaten legal action on anyone who questions their decisions.

It should have been made clear if an agreement had been reached, for the avoidance of misinterpretation of the chairman (in this case), as on the evidence available at the time it appeared inconsistent with the rules of the club.

John

It miffed me when you deleted my legitamate posts without a by your leave. OK I could have read the rules chapter and verse, but we don't all do that. No reason not to use common courtesy.

The posts weren't legitimate, as far as I recall. They were selling on behalf of a friend, which is not allowed. I was equally miffed that a frequent and popular user of this board (and one who often has sensible suggestions in many areas) didn't have the courtesy to read and understand the rules. Where does that leave us?

When the rule was changed, it was added as a sticky post to the forum, and to the intro page of the Board if you come in via the main web site. I was also under the impression that it would be added to the index page of each of the For Sale sections as necessary. What more can we be expected to do?

I would suggest that it would be very rare for a corporate or civil body to allow rule breaking by people who claim to be ignorant of the rules. We have to run the Club using some business principles so that we can observe good practice. That doesn't always extend to apologising for takiing action when the rules are broken and I personally have made it quite clear that I won't enter in to debate about it. Make a posting that breaks the rules, and it gets deleted. No if's, no buts. Other Committee members may behave differently. Me, I don't feel compelled to, and nothing I've heard so far convinces me otherwise. To use a driving analogy, if you get stopped for speeding, saying that you didn't know the rules won't get the cops apologising and saying that they'll overlook it ithis time. No, you'll get a ticket and a warning that ignorance is no defence. You don't write an open letter to the Chief Constable via the local paper saying that you've been treated harshly. No, you cough up and make sure you know the rules next time.

As for having patience, you know me well enough to know that I am pretty patient and usually make considered and careful comments. However, I've spent a far too large a portion of my weekend dealing with this issue, and even I have my limits. I'm fed up with people trying to circumvent the rules, or suggesting rule changes or options that suit their situation but not the Club at large. I know you don't do that Tommo, but it's been a long weekend. However it's a very common issue when dealing with the rules on the For Sale forums, BUT I will say it yet again. The rules are available to view to everyone, member or not. They are written in plain English and I suspect they run to less words that your opening post on this thread. Is it really that difficult or time consuming for a user to read and understand them? I can assure you that I have expended considerably more time and effort explaining them this weekend than it would take to read them. When users sign up to use this Board, they agree to abide by the rules same as happens when joining any other club, or taking out insurance or signing on for a track day. None of those other bodies would accept ignorance as a defence. In principle, why should we?

Does the rule not extend to the Committee...

Yes. But if you read the locked thread, the last post answers the question. An agreement was reached and the posting was allowed, although it was made by the Chairman precisley to avoid this sort of argument about non members or members posting on behalf of others. Surely you can see that there is flexibility, but it has to be done the right way. The right way is at the discretion of the Committee, and not for members to decide unilaterally to break the rules.

If you don't like it, write to us and explain how we could make it better. We would like to hear from any one with good suggestions as to how to move forwards on this issue. So far, we've had exactly zero emails on the subject. In  the face of no complaints (in writing via email or snail mail, NOT on here) to the Comittee, we will proceed as is.

Make a posting that breaks the rules, and it gets deleted. No if's, no buts.

So, it appears that the club secretary agrees that ALL posts on behalf of or by non members should be deleted , I look forward that being applied without exception in future.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.