Windscreen Wipers

NRW

Thanks for the pics much appreciated. Just found an advert in Car Builders Solutions catalogue and they sell what looks like the identical wiper kit. Which is available with a 110 degree sweep or a 130 degree sweep with auto park left or right. So reckon Westfield must supply the 110 dgree version which sort of answers most of my questions

To finish this thread off spoke to Mark at WF and it basically doesn't matter which side the motor is mounted. They can supply extension to the wiring loom if fitted on left as per manual (and the loom is too short) The plastic cover was added as an SVA requirement they only one they can get is handed for mounting on the right. Apparently you only need to cover the sharp edges at the bottom of the motor foam tape is ok or cut bottom off cover and use that. The blades should park on the right hand driver side (mine don't) and this is obvious if you look at the wipers and blades. I just need to take my motor out and apparently as suggested earlier open it up and change a gear over which will make them park the other way Simple!! :cool:

Before you go....some tips that might help....I got really fed up having to buy new blades every flippin' year 'cos the rubber had perished, so managed to carefully modify a pair of old blades to accept refills from Halfrauds. Just needed to slim down the blade clips a bit to take the locking clip and now I can buy a set of refills for £5 that make 2 sets of blades.... they don't rot and they wipe better than even brand new rubber ones anyway. Care is needed to make darn sure the metal part of the blade can't contact the glass at any point of the sweep though - the original rubber inserts have extra 'flaps' moulded in them to prevent this. The aftermarket refills don't of course.

I alluded to 'tiddling' with the drive gear - what I did a while back to reduce throw (blades where hitting the screen filler piece) was to remove the crank pin from the steel plate (see pic 1) and relocate it 180 opposite, and slightly nearer the axle shaft. This reduced the stroke of the crank and thereby the wiper sweep. The 180 degrees meant I could just rotate the plate on the plastic gear to restore correct parking. Went a bit too far though so ended up with about 90 degrees which isn't enough. Hence the new 100 degree gear wheel.

Funny how all this comes back to me in the end. Must be at least 5 years since I bought that new wiper gear.....really must get round to fitting it.

Thanks I'm going to 'ave a go at the wiper moptor tomorow. BTW is your avatar a Havard disguised as a Jap zero?

OK took the wiper motor apart today bit fiddly as it attached to car by the flexible drive to the wiper bosses. You only need to take off the flate plate (4 self tappers). Then the arm inside which is attached to a black plastic gear wheel via a circlip and washer. This released the motor assembly. Another circlip releases the plastic gear wheel and underneath there is a white plastic insert that mounts into 2 indents in the gear wheel. Pull this off and clip into the the two vacant indents on the opposite side of the gear wheel. Then I put the whole lot back together. Low and behold it all worked properly and parked the blades on the correct drivers side  :) Job done

Thanks I'm going to 'ave a go at the wiper moptor tomorow. BTW is your avatar a Havard disguised as a Jap zero?

Close, it's an SNJ-6 disguised as an Army T-6. Flew it at Kissimmee, FLA. Has to be said....more fun than a Westy!!  (but it's built pretty much the same way).