Windscreen Wipers

NRW

Is there any way of adjusting the degree  ;) of sweep on the wiper blades ie by adjusting the motor switch. Mine barely make it past the vertical when set in the normal park position.??

AFAIK its a british leyland motor and you can get different drive gears for it, 110 deg rings a bell, theres nothing electrical you can do to change the sweep.

Agreed.

Anyhow the bladdy things are crappy anyhow.

Just look over the windscreen instead.

:p:p

How  ???

I can only just see over the steering wheel  :p

I think I will settle for the neatly parked look and take a cloth with me. Just concerned about passing the SVA with a clean sweep haha

Mine work ok, but you need the cloth for the inside of the screen. :bangshead:

Spent three hours under the dash on Saturday adjusting mine....only to find out later that they slide of the spindle on the outside to get them in the right position ...!!!!

Do i feel a prat now or what.

It is possible to modify the wheel/crank assembly in the motor unit if you are brave, but you can get quite a range of these from (IIRC) SVC. Not cheap things though. Reminds me, I've still got one sitting on a shelf in the garage to fit one day....currently only got 90 degrees of sweep on the wipers, must add the extra 20....

See if this logic works? I mounted the motor on the left side of the scuttle looking from the dash as described in the manual. So my blades park on the left. The drivers windscreen area doesn't get a full wipe I might be wrong here but if the motor is mounted on the right side of the scuttle I think the park position would be on the other side i.e. the right and the drivers view would get much better sweep coverage plus the overlap from the other blade. So can anyone confirm this?? or even understand what I'm waffling about!! :cool:

I might be wrong (memory not what it was...) but I think you might be able to change the park postion by tiddling with the gearwheel. Another memory dependant thing here - I have this new wheel sat on the shelf (OK, it's a ladder really) in the garage, I'll try my best to remember to pick it up when I get home tonight and have a look at it to see if this is true......

...unless someone knows for sure of course ;)

This would be marginally easier than swapping the motor to the other side.

Checked (and even took some pictures..) you can indeed swap the park position of the wipers by either moveing the cam that operates the park switch or by rotating the plastic gear 180 degrees relative to the metal plate that has the output arm on it - both easy to do.

...but...are the wiper wheelboxes symetrically mounted? They aren't on our car (I don't think)...so parking the other way might not work out without moving the wheelboxes. Not hard to check..but another hting, the arms are 'handed as well arn't they? Agian, not the end of the world to change I suppose, but they work OK ish as they are on ours.

BTW, 100 degrees of sweep is the ideal I think.

HTH

To pass SVA just dont fit a windscreen and then the wipers wont be necessary to be tested. After you have passed SVA, then fit the screen and fiddle away with the wipers to your hearts content to get it how you want them.

John

Checked (and even took some pictures..) you can indeed swap the park position of the wipers by either moveing the cam that operates the park switch or by rotating the plastic gear 180 degrees relative to the metal plate that has the output arm on it - both easy to do.

...but...are the wiper wheelboxes symetrically mounted? They aren't on our car (I don't think)...so parking the other way might not work out without moving the wheelboxes. Not hard to check..but another hting, the arms are 'handed as well arn't they? Agian, not the end of the world to change I suppose, but they work OK ish as they are on ours.

BTW, 100 degrees of sweep is the ideal I think.

HTH

This is useful info thanks for looking. Also a very good point about the arms being handed which is something I'd not spotted. Any chance of posting sending the pics?

Sure - PM me an e-mail address & I'll send then on.

....edit to say..never mind...here they are..

Wheel 1

Wheel 2

Wheel 3

Hopefully these will help decrypt my wibbling.