Pinto Missfire & no vac advance

matthew h

Engine swaps usually total up at around 2 to 3 grand, and that's if you DIY.

If the Pinto has problems, then they are quite easy to DIY rebuild if that is what's needed.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthew h

• Blatman

• perksy

• Man On The Clapham Omnibus

More worrying is that the problem seems to have migrated to the engine <!--emo&:(

Is the garage in question experienced in these matters?

My thoughts exactly   :suspect:  :suspect:  :oops:

Take it they've carried out a compression test  ?

If so what were the readings  ?

Who told them to start stripping it down  ?

Just thinking this might start getting expensive  :down:

Yes, that's my worry too.

And in this situation, whilst a compression test is a good thing, a really duff head gasket could be confused for a holed piston. It's one of those times when a borescope is worth it's weight in gold...

I would put a hold on the garage, as someone said earlier get along to a local meet - it will probably save you from a right caning in the wallet department :angry:

The garage is good, the reason for taking it there is one of the lads dad has got a Westfield and he solved a few other problems for us.

Drakuul - What are you having done to yours?

******* Lack of Information Update *******************

They think there may be a crack in the head around the value (there is a mark there). They are going to pressure test it - they have confirmed new piston & crank were fitted by the last garage.

I have been trying to beg/borrow a car and in the end I am going to take a L reg cavalier onto the track (borrowing some SRI wheels). Still fed up, but starting to laugh a little - decided its more important its right for le mans!

Again appreciate the help & support - what a way to get my post count up!

Do you have any reason to believe the head on the car is actually cracked? Have you seen it? How has it been tested?

Head for 150 sounds OK but you need to be sure it's a good one...

They have pressure tested. My old chap is going to have a look at the old & new head today.

Good to hear it sounds an ok price.

Blatman - you are star!

when i had a misfire on my pinto, it was because one of the bolts holding the aux venturi in had fallen out causing it to rotate inside the carbs and cut off fuel to the #1 cylinder.

Mentioned it before and it solved someone elses problem, the bolts need wire locking in otherwise they vibrate loose.

Good luck

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

At last it is done. The garage have been doing it between other jobs to ensure mate rates! Circa £175 including the head - much better than I expected!

Pick up this week and test ready for le mans. :D  :D

Back again............

Overall the car is running much better, doesn't stall all of the time, starts 100 % better...................

But - is still missfiring. We are 70% sure its a fuel stravation problem as it feels like its running out of juice.

A very long shot.......... but does anyone in Shropshire/Cheshire have a pair of Carbs we can try on the car to eliminate them before we replace them....... beer or car part tokens available

But - is still missfiring. We are 70% sure its a fuel stravation problem as it feels like its running out of juice.

How have you arrived at that conclusion?