New Member Alert

lukeyboy

Hi everybody!! This is my first post and I thought I'd better say hello "Hello!"

I have been mulling over buying myself a Westfield for over 12 months and am now in a position to to finance the first couple of modules. I am hoping to get over to the Westfield factory at the end of Jan, possibly early Feb and test drive an 1800 sport and 2000 sport. I have been doing plenty of research and reviewed quite a few build sites on the web, but I still have many questions unanswered. As a previous member on the civic type r forum I am aware that some members can get upset when newbies ask the same age old questions and wondered if you have a section where the basics are already answered and if so could somebody point me towards it.

Cheers, Luke

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lukeyboy

• adhawkins

• Barry Ashcroft

• Boomy

Welcome aboard!

There's a search button at top right. You're right in that a lot of 'newbie' questions will have already been answered. A bit of time with the search engine before asking is likely to be very profitable.

Andy

Hello Luke,

The search is very handy, although I've often asked daft questions in the Newbies section and I haven't been flamed yet, so don't worry about asking.

Mat.

Hiya Dan, hope you had a good Xmas.

Welcome! Get stuck into the archive but don't be afraid to ask if you can't find what you're looking for. Sometimes you need a bit of lateral thinking to get the best out of the search function...

The main dilema I currently have is do I go for the 1800 sport or the 2000 sport. Does the extra money for the 2000 justify the extra performance, bearing in mind that the car will be used as a fast road car with maybe the odd track day (I am also wanting a classic look of british racing green, with the chrome pack, rather modern black suspension and bright coloured body).

This then leads onto the second question - if the car is going to be mainly a road car does this justify the extra costs of upgrading to anti roll bars, 4 pot calipers and a LSD (approx £1500+). I would regret it if the performance and handling wasn't what I though without these items, but would be miffied if I spent the cash and then got no benefit (do they only come ito their own on the track?)

???

The main dilema I currently have is do I go for the 1800 sport or the 2000 sport. Does the extra money for the 2000 justify the extra performance, bearing in mind that the car will be used as a fast road car with maybe the odd track day

This then leads onto the second question - if the car is going to be mainly a road car does this justify the extra costs of upgrading to anti roll bars, 4 pot calipers and a LSD (approx £1500+). I would regret it if the performance and handling wasn't what I though without these items, but would be miffied if I spent the cash and then got no benefit (do they only come ito their own on the track?)

As someone who thought his 150 BHP Zetec would be plenty, then 18 months later upgraded to a 200 BHP Vx, I can assure you that you can never have enough power!

Also, you should seriously consider doing some track days. These cars really can't be used to their full potential on the road, and once you've experienced it on track you'll almost certainly be wanting more!

That's when the extra performance bits will come into their own. I don't know whether you can get them seperately, but I'd put the LSD top of the list, probably followed by ARBs and then 4 pot brake upgrade. As you say, you probably won't feel the real benefit of these items on the road, but you certainly will on track.

It's almost certainly cheaper to get the bits added at the build stage than to add them yourself later (although I could be wrong on that).

Decisions decisions eh? :)

Andy

Personally, I'd go for the black wishbones. I did get the Chrome pack, and I still like it, but the wishbones have started to rust slightly, Black ones would be a lot easier to keep looking decent.

Can't help much with the rest of your queries...

Except to say that green is the best colour of course. :D

Thanks for the input.

This is one of the issues I have!!!! I would much rather install these items while I'm carrying out the initial build, than have to come back and start removing bits of car later.

Plus it will cut into my driving time :angry:

Matt: you bring up another issue - black suspension... do you have the nylon bush upgrade.

I hate it when car dealers give you options as you always want them and the cost just goes through the roof!!!

Welcome. :)

Unlike AndyH, I'd go for LSD, 4 pots and wide track front for a mainly road car. My road car has this set up, and does very nicely without ARB's.

My track car has all that *and* ARB's, although I managed some decent results without them. IMHO, ARB's are the *final* piece of the handling puzzle. Good brakes are more important, as is a rear end that behaves predictably. Wide track will make the front end behave well enough too...

:)

All we need now is someone to come and tell him to get a Caterham and we'll have the set ;)

Andy

Hello Luke and welcome, i will be glad to offer up my wealth of experience.

I shall start by listing what i know below..

..ok that's that then  :D

Clarkson2.jpg