Next question

Rory's Dad

Have just been delighted by the generosity of members in answering my first question "Will I fit in?" Somewhat surprisingly I do! So thanks to everyone for their offers and advice.

Given that I'm 57 and see the Westfield build as a project with my youngest son, we are leaning towards building a road going car (from new parts) in the first instance for trips out.  I am thinking therefore about a standard fuel injected Duratec which in the fullness of time can be upgraded for the odd track day or hill climb for my son (once he's old enough)!  150 bhp and a good slug of torque sounds quite enough for me - even given the weight penalty of my ample girth.  nb I can already hear all you with trackday screamers laughing loudly :D

Is this the right way to go? Comments and suggestions please.

ps have limited spannering experience so am looking for a relatively straight forward assembly job (more laughing from those in the know :D )

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rory's Dad

• adhawkins

• sedsy

• scruffythefirst

Cue about 700 pages of 'Get a Vx', 'No, get a Zetec'. 'Zetec is crap, you want a BEC' :)

Andy

Pulls up a chair and waits for the Bike Engine vs Car engine (V8/Pinto/VX/etc..) argument to begin.... :D  :D  :D

A search will reveal a number of threads about just the issue you propose   :t-up:  :)

Heres a viewpoint.

If you build a good engine with those sort of power figures etc it really does not matter if its a vx zetec duratec etc etc etc.

My first engine was a used cvh 1600 from another westy who upgraded to a zetec, it did me just fine. The main thing for me at the time was cost and getting a running engine with carbs and all anc. for £550 that gave about 125bhp at wheels was great. I was at first going down the zetec route but this would have cost me about £500-£1000 more with ecu etc

Recenlty i have changed to a 2.0l vx engine, i based my choice on a few things.. I have always liked vauxhall engines ever since my mate had a gte astra 1800 then a 2000 16v. I found the parts easy to get hold of and i have been able to run it on a standard ignition to keep cost down. Parts for the vx are always available as are zetec parts due to people upgrading to duratec etc etc.

The main reason was to create even more banter between myself and Deano, Neil and Cam who all have crappy ford engines !! LOL

Joking apart though, whatever you decide on after building a westy and driving it you will love it ! make a decision and stick with it !

Hope to help..........

:D  :t-up:

If you build a good engine with those sort of power figures etc it really does not matter if its a vx zetec duratec etc etc etc.

I disagree (sort of).

Stick a 150 BHP Duratec in, and you've still got plenty of room to get more power out of it should you wish to. Stick a 150 BHP X-Flow in, and chances are you're talking serious money to get it much further...

(Along comes Nob Ravin and his crew to extol the virtues of the X-Flow :))

Andy

Missing the point a little though, the chap wants to build from new parts; I'm guessing, maybe wrongly,  :D that he means a module build, in which case the choice is rather narrower.

Come along to the club night (first tuesday in the month) and all be be revealed. I have had 2litre Pinto, several stages of XE vauhall power on carbs/throttle bodies up to 235bhp and now a Busa. All have been roadgoing but all been on trackdays and in the Speed Series.

And I am also 6ft tall and nearly 58yrs old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(bl**** hell thats frightening ) :bangshead:

No, I did. :)

Similar principle applies. To get much over 180 BHP on a Zetec needs some serious (ish) work. It's easy on a Vx. Piece of cake on a Duratec ;)

Andy

If you want a track day car then go for BEC; hayabusa or similiar. If you want a car mainly for road do not get a BEC (sorry guys) unless you enjoy thrashing about somewhere between 7,000 and 12,000 rpm. I am not gonig to get into a debate about Zetec or Duratec mainly because I do not now the pros and cons in detail but I know that standard power is good and plenty of options for upgrades and potential to get to around 250BHP I think. I like he idea of VX engine, I too use to have an astra 2000GTE which produced 160BHP as standard and that was a G reg! But I can well believe the upgrades are pricey, but is a great piece of engineering. Myself I have choosen to go the V8 route for two reasons: The best sound in the world and oudles of low down torque.

Good luck