Tyre Troubles

Terry Everall

Last nights award do was well attended but rather controversial and I think needs debate.

Apart from the slick classes everyone has to use Toyo tyres AND NOTHING ELSE!.

There are serious issues that could see WSCC smembers  considering the limitatations of this ruling which has appeared without warning. There was talk of people not competing, all going into Slick classes, joining other series such as Midland . I will make my points to "the committee" as far as Class F is concerned and how it will affect me personally. I am worrried that the full impact of this immediate change will have a negative rather than positve effect to our series. The principal of one make tyres sounds good and fair but even F1 get  one years notice of changes so they dont waste money.

The guys in F are not amused as most of us now have lightweight ACB 10 tyres which we now cant use or easily sell.(Mine cost £550 and have only done 4 events) In my case they dont do the correct tyre width and I would need new rear rims and arches. They also dont have a 1B wet tyre for 13" wheels. Progress I like but this seems like a backward step especially when at events other cars in my class (from other clubs) will be on better tyres!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mrs Westy

• Blatman

• Rob Navin

• adhawkins

Does that mean the new A048's I bought for last year for Class E are now illegal?

???

If so, it looks like my sprinting career and been bought to a swift end...

:down:

As far as I am aware you must use Toyo 888 as the 1B tyre so your 048's will not be accepted!

I would prefer that we moved to this situation over a 1 year period so that we can use up our existing rubber but the rules seem to say it has to happen now.

Erm right!

Before we all start jumping around panicing how official is this?

MARK when you have recovered from your hangover!

:-)

When do the rules get released? from many peoples point of view a slow dripping of selected rules released through unofficial channels ie an awards do when a few beers have been consumed isn't the best way to do it. This subject being the result of it!

Devils advocate time

I think we should hold fire on this subject until the rules are released and clarified

Although Personally I think it's an excellent way to put off potential new drivers who just want the odd play.

Phil

(yes I'm the sensible level headed one Ive just had to stop Richard from posting an abusive version)

Phil

I agree wholeheartedly, but if this is going to become law then it needs to be discussed. Personally, with the mileage I do my tyres will probably last for 2006 and 2007, so just to be able to compete I would have to get rid of tyres with 2 years worth of life left. Granted I could sell them, but they would not be worth anything like their true value in terms of useable life remaining on them.

This strikes me as a vey silly idea and if, and I stress *if*, it becomes the rules then I will not be competeing next year.

My initial posting was made after I saw the regs and was sober and had spoken to the Toyo Rep about the restricted range of rubber available

In classes A, B, C and D the only tyres that may be used are Toyo manufactured tyres listed in 'List 1A' of the MSA Tyre Regulations for the last four years.

In classes E and F the only tyres that may be used are Toyo manufactured tyres listed in ‘List 1A’ and/or ‘List 1B’ of the MSA Tyre Regulations for the last 4 years.

Cars in Classes A, B, C, and D not fitted with the appropriate Toyo manufactured tyre shall not be eligible to score points within the series.

That's my sprinting days over already then...

Well if that's the rules.

But I personally believe you are sacrificing alot just to have a tyre manufacturer as a sponsor.

Best of luck for next year

It seems to me that a year change over period would be better as it would allow people to compete on what they have already got knowing that their next set of boots would be Toyo's (size permitting)

Good job they don't make slicks  ;)

That's my sprinting days over already then...

Please remember that these are the Westfield Speed Series regs, not the MSA regs.  Other championships will have different rules and many allow the full range of tyres as per the blue book.  So if you can't/don't want to comply with these regs, it doesn't mean that your sprinting days are over - just that your sprinting days in the Westfield Speed Series are over.  I'm sure that over the next couple of months, those who wish to compete in roadgoing classes with other tyres will make it known where they will be found next year!