Guarding against theft

dern

There's a simple answer to cars being broken up for their parts - micro dots.

Immobilisers will stop casual thefts, but a tracker device is far more effective if the car is simply rolled onto a flat bed and driven off.

My car sits securely in it's garage, which has an alarm fitted that kindly calls the police if the stripey sweater/swag bag carrying burglar comes calling.

Truth is though, if they want it bad enough, there's not much that you can do to stop them cuz speed cameras don't fulfill all the roles that used to be the remit of traffic patrol cars.   That's progress I guess!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dern

• Blatman

• pistonbroke

• adamnreeves

immobiliser wont stop a determined theif , its too easy to wheel away quietly to a waiting transporter / van  

2 men can easily lift the front to overcome the steering lock

4 people could pick the whole car up easily .

assuming it aint a great big lump of detroit iron under the bonnet    :sheep:

As has been said already, if somebody is determined to have it they will, and there will be very little chance of ever seeing it again because it will be broken for spares.

Mine lives at my parents in an alarmed garage behind a 6ft wall with electrics gates, and thats in a decent area! When I'm out with it there is the FIA key, not much of a deterent because spare keys are pennies, but stops the chancer. I've also got a removeable steering wheel and I carry a *big* lock for locking skid lids up with, but it could also be used to chain the car up if I was unhappy about the area. But, having said that, most of time when you take it out you won't be far from it and if you are it will be at a show etc, with lots of other cars and, generally, low risk.

Yeah you can buy car alarms with immobilisers built in. Could pick something up from maplins but I am probably going to look for a Thatcham Cat I or II type.

If you use EFI then you could install a cut off switch to the live feed of the fuel pump because it is a pressured system, the car probably want even fire up.

Could go for belt and braces approach and disable major circuits such as fuel pump and ignition circuits!

Of course if they cannot start the car, then can nick bits of it or even hoist it away! I was think of buying a letter punch set and stamping the chassis number on major components, such as gearbox, diff, etc.

Not a lot more can be done really, maybe fit a flame thrower, or hang on, that might damage the GRP!

Been involved with vehicle security for 15 years, and if they want your car they will take it. But lets try and expell some urban myths, professional car thieves are few and far between now with the advent of ecu based immobilisers they simply cannot pinch em that easy, theft is normally a trailer jobby dumping the car in a busy car park and wait to see if a tracking device is fitted and the new more worrying type of theft car-jacking or break and entry into your house for the keys

A prroperly fitted thatchem unit has been tested by EXPERIENCED enginners to withstand a minimum 5 minute attack test, thats 5 mins of sirens screaming from a person who knows what he is doing with no pressure of being caught

A catagory 2 immobiliser will cost approx £100 fitted by an approved engineer, money well spent IMHO

If any members require cat 1 or 2 products I could willing supply them and assist, BUT the certificate of installation could not be completed if fitted by yourselves

Mike

Thatcham Cat 1 alarm, removable steering wheel and a HUGE ground lock and chain. Oh and its in a well locked garage.

Still gonna nip and check its still there though. :)

Mmm.

I'm surprised how many folk have posted on this thread, and listed all of their security measures...

:bangshead:  :p

Paasing on good ideas are one thing, but to tell the world exactly where, and how your 'secret' cut off switches etc are wired is another... :suspect:

Mmm.

I'm surprised how many folk have posted on this thread, and listed all of their security measures...

:bangshead:  :p

Paasing on good ideas are one thing, but to tell the world exactly where, and how your 'secret' cut off switches etc are wired is another... :suspect:

That's what I thought too :t-up:

I'm not saying what I do with mine when I leave it. I would trust everyone on the Boardroom :durr:  - but who knows who's watching.... :devil:  :devil:

Kerry S

I'm not saying what I do with mine when I leave it. I would trust everyone on the Boardroom :durr:  - but who knows who's watching.... :devil:  :devil:

Kerry S

Oh and i forgot to mention the guard dogs,searchlights, barbed wire, machine gun nests, airel helecopter patrols, spy sattelites and for extra security an ED-209 sleeps next to the car.

So bring it on you tea-leaf scum.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I think the removeable steering wheel would stop a casual joyrider so I'm happy with that but a pro would just roll it on to a trailer, take it home and strip it for the bits which would make pretty much anything a waste of time including an immobiliser imo. I have an immobiliser on the car but then I can't remove the controls when I leave it.

I'll keep an eye on ebay for a ground anchor which would make me happier when I'm on holiday for example.

The alphadot marking system sounds like an excellent plan and at 25 quid is a steal (sic). I'll go for that too.

If you think all that sounds paranoid then the security for my fireblade that I commute on is smart water security marking system, honda hiss key enabled immobiliser, after market alarm and immobiliser (yep, 2 immobilisers) and I tend to chain it to something immovable when I'm not riding it :blush:

Does anyone else get followed to work by black helicopters?  :suspect:

Regards,

Mark

No!

Derbyshire's Police 'coter is blue and yellow, typical Westy colours :D

Kerry S

Whilst we're on the subject, i had a strange experience last night.  Walked out of the house to what i thought was someone scoping my 106 at around 8:30.  When i got back in from the pub i was in the front bedroom in the dark (perving about as you do) and i watched a different guy walk up the street (cul-de-sac so very quiet), cross the road and have a good look at the 106 before walking back off in the pouring rain.  Now the 106 isn't that special but is quite rare (S2 Rallye), the Westy covered up on the drive didn't even warrant a second look.

Phoned the police this morning and they were *very* interested for some reason.  Anyway the Westy is Cat 2'd and i've hidden the FIA key and ignition and immobilser key in the attic.  The 106 is also Cat 2'd and alarmed so fingers x'd.

I got halfway down the runway while having a drag race when I lost power.....  thought I had knackered my engine, but it turned out to be my anti-theft device :p

Mark B

So, that's how Chris F managed to beat you then............secrets out :D  :D  :D  :D  :p  :p  :p  :p  :D  :p  :p