• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Which Sump?

kevip6

Hello,

I need to replace the sump on my black top 2 liter Zetec. It’s going to be fitted to an MT75 Cable clutch box so the starter needs to go on the left.  This is one of the problems with the original sump (apart from its height) as it doesn’t allow a starter to be mounted on that side.

I know Westfield offer one that is modified to fit, but I also hear talk of Raceline, Scholar, Dunnel, etc..

Are there any that are better for my configuration without too much need for modification? And what extras would I need to get it working? I’m assuming it would be as simple as taking the old sump off and fitting the new sump on?

Thanks

Kev

My Build

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kevip6

• Blatman

• perksy

• Animal

Top Posters In This Topic

Kev,

I used a raceline sump on my blacktop, although i am using a type 9 box. They did ask me what gearbox i was using so that it could be modified. Give raceline a call and have a chat to them. It looks like a quality sump.

Sam

From memory, when I did a search for sumps for my 1.8 Zetec, WF was about £275, Dunnell about £300 exchange and Raceline £360. The former are both, I think, made from the standard sump, Raceline's in a new casting.

There was someone offering a sump for sale in Parts for Sale a week or so back too.

Kerry S

Ive got a raceline sump on mine! It looks fantastic and obviously does a brilliant job (never seen my oil pressure fluctuate under braking or cornering), not cheap but IMHO well worth the money!

Ive got a raceline sump on mine!(never seen my oil pressure fluctuate under braking or cornering),

Maybe Mr Broughton should be reading this :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Steve....Make your sump work please ???

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice, i will look into the Scholar as i haven't heard a bad thing against them and that is quite a bit cheaper.

I can't seem to find contact details for them through google, does anyone have the web address / phone number?

Also any idea how easy/hard they are to fit? Anything i should replace while the sump is off?

Thank you

Kev

Scholar Engines Ltd

Blue House Lane

Mendlesham

Suffolk

IP14 5NH

Telephone    01449 767711

Website is Here :   CLICKY

Not Difficult to Fit.

You may have to Trim the Exsisting Zetec Engines Oil 'Drain/Windage' Tray, to Stop the New Sumps Baffles from Fouling Slightly.

Photo Available on Request.

Sent Mine away on the Monday and Received a Modded one back on the Friday.....

HTH.

Thanks perksy that's really helpful!

I have mailed them with the details and i'll call tomorrow to fnd out the options.

If you could mail me the pics to kev@kevspictures.net along with any info that would be useful that would be a big help!

Thanks Again  :t-up:

Scholar Engines Ltd

Blue House Lane

Mendlesham

Suffolk

IP14 5NH

Telephone    01449 767711

Website is Here :   CLICKY

Not Difficult to Fit.

You may have to Trim the Exsisting Zetec Engines Oil 'Drain/Windage' Tray, to Stop the New Sumps Baffles from Fouling Slightly.

Photo Available on Request.

Sent Mine away on the Monday and Received a Modded one back on the Friday.....

HTH.

Hi,im new to this website.Ihave just fitted a new sump from wf which has a baffeled sump,it fouled the engine so i removed it was i wrong to do that? Removed the engine baffel i mean.

Yup. The baffle prevents oil surge during braking and cornering. Westfields are capable of much higher cornering and braking forces than the standard Zetec sump (or a non baffled modified sump) can withstand. The baffle helps keep the engine supplied with oil. You will find it very easy to kill your engine without it, so put it back in. If it's a new sump from Westfield, send it back for modification/replacement. If it's not new, then you'll need to send it to somewhere like Westfield or Plays Kool to modify it for you unless you fancy having a go yourself. Remember though that if there are any problems with the oil (or water) system, damage can occur quickly and it's rarely a cheap fix...

Yup. The baffle prevents oil surge during braking and cornering. Westfields are capable of much higher cornering and braking forces than the standard Zetec sump (or a non baffled modified sump) can withstand. The baffle helps keep the engine supplied with oil. You will find it very easy to kill your engine without it, so put it back in. If it's a new sump from Westfield, send it back for modification/replacement. If it's not new, then you'll need to send it to somewhere like Westfield or Plays Kool to modify it for you unless you fancy having a go yourself. Remember though that if there are any problems with the oil (or water) system, damage can occur quickly and it's rarely a cheap fix...

Its only the engine baffel thats been removed,not the new sump from wf.Can't see the point of two.

Regards.