Windscreen to Scuttle

pgh

But if I sit in the car all I can see is the garage door, it gets dull quite quickly so the eye tends to wander :D

I ordered some suitable foam from RS components earlier so the second of these pictures isn't quite the finished state, however, thanks to the bolts, my windscreen now touches the scuttle all the way along it's length and I'm a much happier Westfield builder (well if I could equalise the gap between press studs and screen pillars I'd be very happy...)

4871.jpeg

4872.jpeg

But if I sit in the car all I can see is the garage door, it gets dull quite quickly so the eye tends to wander :D

Open the door, or get a calendar...  :p  :D

pgh:

following your build very closely because yoa are at same stage as me!

Out of interest do the bolts you've used in centre of screen not come through the heater vent; my vent is right underneath the scuttle where the bolts would pass!

Out of interest your build site shows spacers on the top rad mounts; I'm using a ducted nose but I'm sure these spacers are for the top hose where you fix it to the chasis - this is why you found the bottom mounts at the wrong angle??

Hi Nikpro,

Oh dear, I didn't think anyone read the diary - it's really out of date now! I've got some enforced Westie exile coming up so I'll have some time to get the diary up to date...

Yes the bolts come through the heater vent, but with the silicone/foam above and a large penny washer to spread the load of the scuttle pulling downwards it seems fine, much stiffer than with just the silicone. With the bolts being only being M5 they should be easily thin enough to not disrupt the air flow from the heater.

With regard to the rad, the bottom mounts needed bending with or without of the spacers - they'd hold the rad at a 60 degree angle otherwise! I checked with the chaps at the factory about the spacers; they confirmed that they should be there. Apparently, they're just to get the rad more vertical. From the factory cars I've looked at, there isn't normally a spacer on the top hose, just the rubber clad P clip bolted to a rivnut. Hope the ducted nose went together ok - It looks hard :)

Paul