Windscreen to Scuttle

pgh

Morning all,

Seeking advice / inspiration.

I've got approx. 10mm gap between the scuttle and the windscreen. Probably best described by saying that the windscreen rests on the 'shoulders' of the scuttle but not in the middle. I called the factory to enquire how to sort this out & was told it's normal - just silicone it up. I did just that, but I've been staring at the bead of silicone ever since. S.O. went to the factory yesterday to get some missing bits for me & checked the scuttle/windscreen gap on the cars there, no gap apparently & therefore no visible silicone bead...

Last night I decided to strip the screen off again to try and get it better somehow. It's almost as if my scuttle has sagged slightly in the middle. From reading Tim Hoverd's build diary, he had the same problem & resolved it with sticky backed foam. Has anyone got any other ideas/solutions for this please?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi,

It is quite a common 'feature' of Westi's from what I have seen.

I agree it is a little annoying as it's in full view, I was planning (to busy just driving it at the mo) to make a small fillet out of a piece of black foamex (airated plastic, very easy to cut and shape...and I can get it for free  ;)  ) then cover over the gap.

I don't think, and I hope you prove me wrong, that you will ever get rid of it completely.

Mat.  :D

I take it you're talking about the "inside" of the windscreen and you haven't forgotten to fit your windscreen fillet to the outside?/

It could happen   :oops:

If it's the inside then silicone/ignoring it/some kinda adhesive foam is usually the answer

The best idea I've had so far is to use the T section ali to that forms the bottom of the windscreen to slide a couple of bolts into. The windscreen groove in the scuttle can then have a couple of holes drilled through and then the bolts can be used to pull the scuttle up to meet the screen. Have a nasty suspicion that the groove in the scuttle lines up perfectly with the wiper rack though...

Had same issue recently, Got a block of wood and wedge it up under scuttle so that screen and scuttle meet nicely. Then sikoflex'd the front edge of the screen with a nice beed of sealant. Left it for a day to cure. Remove woodenblock.

The fillet strip then hides the sealant from view, once fitted.

Having used the clear sealant to fill the bulk of the gap, I found some black sealant and put a layer of that on the inside so that it matches the screen surround.

Darren  :t-up:

I used the 'wedge from underneath' method, and black Sikaflex. It works. In boatbuilding Sikaflex is often used to permanently fix fiittings to fibreglass hulls. A final coat between masking tape on the screen and fillet, leveled with a wet finger,  gives a smooth waterproof seal. Hope this helps.

Tamariki

Annoying is'nt it?

The more I messed with mine the worse it got so ended up hiding it with a strip of thin black rubber trimmed to shape and superglued to the screen frame. Looks a lot better...but thats not saying much :down:

I spent way too long messing around with this last night, but now have something I'm pretty happy with - thanks for all the suggestions. Good to know that it's not just me with the gap!

I've decided that it's never going to be perfect as the groove on the scuttle is actually slightly curved along it's length & so never going to accept the straight windscreen properly.

I used two long M5 bolts, filed the head to a rectangular shape and then slid the bolts into the T shaped groove in the bottom of the windscreen frame. I then drilled some holes through the scuttle and used the bolts to pull the scuttle up to meet the windscreen base. This now looks loads better :)

To finish it off I now need to find some black sticky backed foam of about 5mm thickness which will hopefully squash up and create a nice visual join. Any ideas where I can get such foam from? B&Q's draught excluder section perhaps?

I'll post some pictures later on. Thanks again,

Paul

NFauto stock a rubber section, not very expensive (£2.50/m), that I used to solve a similar problem. The section is a hollow tube of rubber about 4.5mm dia that fits nicely into the groove on the lower edge of the windshield. It has a flat piece of rubber 25mm coming off it, so it looks, in section like a kids drawing of a man with no legs of arms. The flat section lends itself to bend to lay on the scuttle top, squirt some sealent under the flab & jobs a good un!

Sorry about the section descsription no other way to explain it. Tech name is 'Wing Piping, see attached web page

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/rubber_trim.htm

Gray