ST170

Chasmon

I basically want this sort of power and injection. Seems if I take a standard zetec the kit to go with it will cost alot  

Fair enough. I wanted to make sure that you weren't heading down the wrong path for the wrong reason. It appears that you have thought it through well, so all I have to say is, good luck :t-up:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chasmon

• Blatman

• Ian Podmore

• Toby Mack

Thanks Blatman and everyone who has given me their help on this thread.

Should be picking it up on Saturday (keys included! ) I have had a chat with the Ford Technical assistance people and am reasonably confident that I will be able to get it up and running (I'm young and naive! )

I'll keep you posted on how things progress...

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to this thread, Practical Performance Car has got an article on Zetec and Zetec ST170 tuning this month, plus some more on fitting bike carbs to engines.

On the ST170 front, you can put TB's on them,and you can very easily fit bike TB's to them. Emerald are looking at controlling the variable inlet cam timing with their ECU, but dashboard control has been acheived on at least one conversion.

I can see an increased demand for ST170 inlet stub manifolds.......

Long may the Zetec rule :p:D

Have not read the whole thread but Neo fitted a ST170 engine with throttle bodies and got 180+bhp from a standard engine. Then for good measure and a bit of a boost fitted NOS :p

I'd try and stretch to Durabang...............

May cost you a bit more now BUT,

A. The car will be quicker, and more tuneable. :love:  :t-up:  :cool:

B. The car will be worth more, maybe more than the xtra you spend... :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:

C. IMHO it's like a choice 6-7 years ago between X-flow & Z-tec.............. Whats the price/performance  difference now ???

D. Theres loads of off the shelf bits to make it fit/go fast.. :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :t-up:

P.S. Fit a Type 9 Box............... even if it's a standard one now you'll be able to upgrade later to a nice BGH/Quaife/Elite unit later with less hassle. :t-up:  :t-up:

out of interest, just how much ground clearance can you get under a wet sumped Duratech?

The bottom of the Raceline sump is flush with the bottom of the bellhousing, so ground clearance is pretty good.  Certainly a lot better than I had with my crossflow.

-John

ok, but I guess what I really meant to ask was, if you put the engine as high as possible under a standard bonnet, where does that put the sump?

I am asking because of all the comments about the duratech being a tall engine.

My xflow sump (cut and shut, winged sump) is about level with the bellhousing and I have about 4.5-5" under everything which is nice because the car does get used for all sorts.

I can measure the it for you, but going from memory my sump has a little over 100mm clearance with 195/55-14 tires fitted, and the lower control arm set so that the imaginary line between the pivot points is parallel to the ground.  I am not sure how much clearance there is under the bonnet, but my guess is that it is fairly tight (10mm?).  BTW this is with a 2.0L which is about 14mm shorter than a 2.3L.

-John

don't go to any trouble measuring it for me, it is all just idle chat and a pipe dream at the moment but I was curious. 100mm sounds quite reasonable although it might challange a few speed humps round here.

Thanks,

Toby

There is also a low profile cam cover available which would allow you raise the engine even further.  Having gone the route you are considering (xflow to Duratec) I recommend that you do it.  Although you will lose that magical xflow sound, the Duratec really transforms the car.  My dyno plots show that the new engine makes more torque at 1500rpm (where we started the test) than the xflow made at peak  :D yet it doesn't reach its own torque peak until 5500rpm.  Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

-John

yes, I know I want one (I've just driven a VX car so I would like the extra power without the extra weight ;) ) but can I afford the time and money? No........ :arse:

Toby, its about 35-40mm below the chassis on mine, but I could raise it by approximately 25mm before it hits the bonnet. If this still no good, you could fit the lowline cam cover as john mentions, that will give you a further 20mm approx. Going drysump will make it flush with the chassis.

The 2L Durabang is not a deep engine, although it is deeper than a xflow, but the 2.3mm is a bit taller granted

Have not read the whole thread but Neo fitted a ST170 engine with throttle bodies and got 180+bhp from a standard engine. Then for good measure and a bit of a boost fitted NOS :p

Do you have any contatc details for Neo? It would be good to ask him some questions...