ST170

Chasmon

I was looking at getting a newer engine and running a CAT  ???  I have seen complete exhaust systems with low mileage for around the £400 mark complete with CAT.

The reason for going the ST170 choice would be because it obviously creates power as "standard" so no need for TB's and changes to injection. I'm guessing that the ECU may be of use, if the approriate connections are held high low or commoned, to account for the extra wiring I wont have.

I am going to go and have a look at it over the weekend to see whether the inlet manifolds etc will fit.

I know this is off the wall but it seems strange that more K-series units have not been fitted, when they first came out in cateringvans they raved about the improvements in handling due to the light weight, problems with the head aside they're cheap as chips...A friend also has a suitable cateringvan bell housing he would like to sell...

As for the VX, what I said before, the red tops are thin on the ground compared to Zetecs and they are commanding silly money for the age. The weight comment was a pun  :devil: Don't be so sensitive  :D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chasmon

• Blatman

• Ian Podmore

• Toby Mack

Er, so a 1995 Zetec is better than a 1995 Vx?

I think we've covered that one before........  :D  :D  :D

'Don't mention the war' and all that  :p

Yeah, I know, but I wasn't sure if Chasmon was aware. Besides, I though I was quite fair minded this time...

Point taken about using a totally standard Ford installation for the power returned...

Right, nothing to see here. Move along... :D

I apreciate all your comments, I think the overiding factor has to be that the ST170 has the type of performance I'm looking for and hopefully will be cheap to install (naive...possibly  :durr: )

I had a chat with the scrappy today and did a deal for £1200 inc VAT for the engine (20,000miles), ancillaries, ECU, Loom, Sierra Box (haven't decided whether to go type 9 or MT75 yet), Polo Rad, and Freelander Diff/Lobros or Sierra equivalent plus anything else I need as long as its not major money (header tank pipes etc). CHEAP???

Oh yeah and the sump looked about 8" deep is this short or will it need replacing?

The induction on the engine looks very neat much more compact than on the standard black top Zetec and from pictures of Zetec installations I believe it will fit.

So.........My main question is, will it be a b@~*%d to get up and running on the Ford ECU? Since it'll be in stadard guise the cost of an aftermarket ECU and setup seems ridiculous.

I think I'll feel much better once I get an engine and carry on with the project (ITS NOT A TRNASPLANT ITS A NEW BUILD! )

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I had a chat with the scrappy today and did a deal for £1200 inc VAT for the engine (20,000miles), ancillaries, ECU, Loom, Sierra Box (haven't decided whether to go type 9 or MT75 yet), Polo Rad, and Freelander Diff/Lobros or Sierra equivalent plus anything else I need as long as its not major money (header tank pipes etc). CHEAP???

I've not done this myself, but I would have thought you'd easily get either a 2 litre Zetec or 2 litre XE running on carbs for that price. The Zetec should give about 150 BHP, and the Vx more like 170 - 180 BHP, with plenty of scope for improvement later should you feel you needed it.

They're also engines that loads of people have put in Westfields, so getting them up and running would have been a lot less fraught.

Or am I wrong? ???

Andy

I wouldn't bother getting a polo rad from a scrappy, they only cost 43 notes brand new

So.........My main question is, will it be a b@~*%d to get up and running on the Ford ECU? Since it'll be in stadard guise the cost of an aftermarket ECU and setup seems ridiculous.

Thinking the Ford ECU will be part of the Engine Imobiliser circuit, and wiring etc will require some modification  ???

If the engine is out of a vehicle registered after 1996 or there abouts then as Persky said the ECU will probably be linked to another immobiliser control unit which in turn is then linked to the steering column surround which has a receiver in it. The key will have a transponder in it and this will send a unique code to the control unit every time it is inserted & removed.

If you intend to use the engine with the original ECU then this will need a lot of investigating and sorting out & all the relevant parts possibly including the original key.

Check all this out before you part with your cash!!

John

If the engine is out of a vehicle registered after 1996 or there abouts

If it's the ST170 engine, then it will be. These are only introduced in something like 2002 I think.

Andy

If it's the ST170 engine, then it will be. These are only introduced in something like 2002 I think.

Andy

So you'll also be needing a Cat to get through SVA then, I presume.

So you'll also be needing a Cat to get through SVA then, I presume.

Yeah but I have seen full systems on here for £400ish.

I could have a zetec on carbs for similar money I guess but that would be a much older engine and much less refined.

I'll have a chat with scholar and some other builders on Monday and find out the score with the ECU. For secuirty it could be a bonus...

THe engines a 2003, the sump seems to be 8"ish with what looks like a steel bottom bolted on giving the last 3" or so in depth... ???

a much older engine and much less refined

I think that's a bad misunderstanding. The ST170 is a Zetec, plain and simple. There is *nothing* special about it at all, save for a few minor detail differences. Ford just squeezed a few extra horses out of it so they could flog a few Focii. There is nothing in the ST170 that marks it out as sufficiently superior to a normal Zetec to make it worth the hassle you will have tring to get it to work... IMHO...

Vauxhall. Refers normally to the 2.0l "Red Top" engine found in pre 1995/1996 Cavaliers, Astra's and a few Carltons. Not to be confused with the Eco-Tec engine, which is a bit of a turkey...

Vx can also refer to the 1.6 Corsa GSI engine when talking about 1.6's...

WHen I said refined I was reffrering in particular to an engine on injection over carbs tuned ata factory.

I take your point though.

I basically want this sort of power and injection. Seems if I take a standard zetec the kit to go with it will cost alot  ???

If Duratecs were going for sensible money I'd plump for one, they're just too damn popular  :down: