• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

build myself, or buy built costs etc

steveb

Nah, i can hold off the "evolution" my mr2 eveoved from a 158bhp UK stock car to a 290bhp/300lbs turbo nutter mobile, coilovers the lot, result,.. an unreliable and very costly car..  does really move though :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steveb

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• perksy

Top Posters In This Topic

Visit Local club night, Have a few Passenger rides in Different Spec' cars.

You can then decide if you want to go VX, Zetec, Bec Etc.

You'll need to Know this Regardless of what you decide to do (Build or Buy)

Still say there's some Nice cars at the Moment, for very Reasonable money....

Visit Local club night, Have a few Passenger rides in Different Spec' cars.

You can then decide if you want to go VX, Zetec, Bec Etc.

You'll need to Know this Regardless of what you decide to do (Build or Buy)

Still say there's some Nice cars at the Moment, for very Reasonable money....

As far as what engine goes in it, my most important aspect is its new i.e. the actual engine has done under 10,000 miles and is a current / recent design. Also it must have, or extremely easily be made to output 130bhp, I guess most westfields come out at about 600kg???

So 130bhp in a 600kg one would give a very similar power to weight as my mr2, any less than that and i know i wouldn't be happy.

Bike engine is a no straight away as on trackdays i've been on and talked to owners, they have almost all said they have had various issues..

V8 to me seems excessive..

P.S just browsing the for sale section, why do ownersclub cars always get advertised at far less than say autotrader?? it happens to MR2s as well, on ownersclub "oh only get about £2500 for that etc  etc", look on autotrader and all compariable are £4000..  ???  On the sale section here i could lower my budget to £10,000 and be very happy.

As far as what engine goes in it, my most important aspect is its new i.e. the actual engine has done under 10,000 miles and is a current / recent design. Also it must have, or extremely easily be made to output 130bhp, I guess most westfields come out at about 600kg???

That rules out everything but the recently available and rare on the second hand market Duratec cars. There is no reason to to overlook Zetec and Vauxhall (and Toyota) engines just 'cos they're "old". The vast majority will have been refreshed/reconditioned and will offer many years of reliable service.

For what it's worth, my Vx is almost certainly 12 years old if not more, but with a recon done by the cars builder, I'm not expecting any trouble (save for self induced trouble) for many years. It starts and runs perfectly every time, even though it gets left for long periods without so much as a second glance. All I do is change the oil and drive it. Just like a normal car...

My Atmo Cosworth engine in my sprint Westfield hails from about 1986. I rebuilt it in 1998, and except for the aforementioned self induced trouble, it's been reliable and powerful, giving me no cause for concern at all (touches wood :0 ). For example, I put the car away last September after the last sprint of the season. I was ready to start it again after an extended winter upgrade session (on the car, not the engine) just 9 days ago. Fitted a new battery, and she fired and ran fine after 10 seconds of cranking. Reliable? Oh yes...

So, don't be too hung up on an engine being a few years old, and remember, *any* 16 valve car engine on Webers is going to make over 150bhp "as standard" so you're going to be pleased.

Bike engine is a no straight away as on trackdays i've been on and talked to owners, they have almost all said they have had various issues..

Ohhh? Like what?

Ohhh? Like what?

oil surge, stalling, non starting, last day i was at combe (with my  car breakingdown on track, the final straw, :( on the 17th) there was a guy with a yellow westfield saying the last day he was on someone with  a bike engined one spent all day just trying to get it to run, it never made it on to the track at a previous day he was on.

I understand other than the oil surge problems that these problems are probably due to "gremlins" in the build.  But for example my biker mate has told me that in bikes, bike engines rarely live beyond 50,000 -  70,000 miles, before bottom ends fail so the stress of being in a car i can't see them lasting long at all.

I've seen plenty of BECs running on track days with no problems at all...I wouldn't rule them out on that basis.

Andy

The vast majority will have been refreshed/reconditioned and will offer many years of reliable service.

Oh yes...

So, don't be too hung up on an engine being a few years old, and remember, *any* 16 valve car engine on Webers is going to make over 150bhp "as standard" so you're going to be pleased.

If an engines be fully rebuilt well, then yes in total agreement, but having engines rebuilt usually costs doesn't it, so are that many actually done? i know that having my toyota 3sgte rebuilt would cost at least £3000, are the fords/vauxhals alot cheaper?  When i said older design, i was meaning pintos, x-flows etc Zetec is fine :D

the second part is really good news :D

A referesh of a 16 valver, with no other mods should be around the 500 quid mark. Take the Cossie fer instance...

Last time I had it apart (to hone the bores due to bore wash. My fault...) the costs were *roughly* as follows.

Full gasket set. £150

Big end shells £80

Rings £80

Hone £25

So, £335. If an engine just needs a rudimentary recon, then it isn't expensive. It's upgrades like porting, cams and new pistons that'll eat up the dosh.

On the Vx, I bent all 8 exhaust valves (my fault) and it was back on the road for under 300 quid all in. I do all the work myself though, so there are no labour charges to worry about. Good job too 'cos re-lapping 16 valves is no fun :oops:

Good job too 'cos re-lapping 16 valves is no fun :oops:

Oh, I don't know, I did mine in the kitchen watching telly...  :blush:

I'd like to do most stuff myself, really looking forward to having an accessable car.  Don't know that i'm brave enough to rebuild an engine mind... I've done the basic stuff like headgaskets never had a bottom half apart though.  

Anyway thankyou all for your input, you've sold me on saving for a whole ready built car and looking in the for sale section i think £10,000 should get me what i want with a bit of bartering.  Time to strip the mods off my MR2 ebay them, then flog the car :D save a bit all sorted :cool:

No it wouldn't be - the names westfield give their cars is confusing! an 1800 Speed Sport is different to an 1800 sport which is different to an 1800i - basic specs look similar but their really is big differences (£2-£6,000) so make sure you do you research.

I have nearly completed my "madness" kit and whilst the price of the the kit was £12,999 - the total with SVA, insurance, etc is probably closer to £15K. Don't underestimate the cost of the little bits & pieces, though I did upgrade to RAC rollbar and harnesses, plus a couple of other bits. IMHO the RAC rollbar and 4 point harnesses are must fit items.

I have heard you can build one for £8-10K, but you'll be spending a lot of time in the scrapyards sourcing parts.

John.

...or you could drive away in my brand spankin new one for £14K

with a reconitioned diff I believe...

leaving.gif

Were you an elephant in a former life ???

All properly repaired by the manufacturer through WF, at considerable cost I might add, so as to ensure warranty.