build myself, or buy built costs etc

steveb

how so? would a £12,999 inc VAT complete factory from all new parts, for a sport 1800 not be as good as a 2 year old sport 1800 someone else has built but didn't get in the offer on?

It depends on what 'extras' the used car had. Carbs, throttle bodies, uprated suspension, brakes, wheels, tyres, engine mods.

There's a lot of things you can do to a Westfield, you'll rarely find two that are the same spec.

Andy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steveb

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• perksy

Top Posters In This Topic

how so? would a £12,999 inc VAT complete factory from all new parts, for a sport 1800 not be as good as a 2 year old sport 1800 someone else has built but didn't get in the offer on?

:suspect:

Thinking i'm going to go for the factory complete kit unless i can find a complete factory supplied sport 2000 or alike thats 2 - 3 years old for the same money.

Dry sump system, 4 bot brakes, RAC bar, Anti roll bars, Better instruments, magnesium wheels, rose jointed suspension, widetrack suspension etc etc

There are lots of expensive ways that cars can differ.

Cheers

Bazzer

I would have thought you would be able to get more for your money buying second hand. My 155bhp 1800 zetec GTZ cost £11000, 2 years old but factory built initially (originally cost the first owner £16000). Anyway this is still cheaper than a ~120 bhp factory built 1800 zetec, and even after four years it still looks in showroom condition.

Be very careful that you're comparing apples with apples.
. As Andy said, though, you need to make sure that you compare specs to get an accurate comparison, because, in my case, the addition as ARBs, AP brakes, Raceline exhaust etc. greatly effect resale value, even though it is still a factory built 1800.

It is also worth noting that some privately built cars are even better built than the factory ones, due to the longer time people devote to it, so judge each car on its own merits.

That said I'd still like to build one, though I'm sure it would end up over budget by the time I took into account buying secondary items such as specific tools (brake pipe flaring tool, rivnut tool etc.), plus I'd still need to convince my Dad that he didn't really want to keep his new car in his garage. :D .

Kev.

Think if i had £12,000 to spend on a Westy at the moment, I'd be taking a Good look at this : CLICK

Try Building that Spec' for the Asking Price  ???

Hi steveb,

Buy a second hand Xflow SEi narrow body which is road registered (no SVA hassles) but needs work  - £5-6k mark. Then upgrade it :D you learn as you go. Best of both worlds.

Also make sure you have a cheap euro box run around for winter - budget £1k. You could do that with a small loan and your MR2 sale proceeds.

Ta

Geoff

:)

Think if i had £12,000 to spend on a Westy at the moment, I'd be taking a Good look at this : CLICK

Spot on... :t-up:

If I could justify having 3, I'd have bitten Windy's arm off for that car...

Spot on... :t-up:

If I could justify having 3, I'd have bitten Windy's arm off for that car...

It's a shame i'd be buying a built car next year, if buying built.  If i'm building myself i'll go for the module route and start next month.

The advice regarding making sure you're comparing apples with apples is spot on. The special offer kits do look like good value, but inevitably there will be sundry expenses that push the price up, and then there's the SVA to consider.

Windy's car would blow the "special offer" car into the weeds, and then some.

The moral is, make sure you compare specs and condition *very* carefully when weighing up options...

p.s. I have no intention of going down the modding route, did that on my mr2, you can ALWAYS get bigger and better so its best being happy with what you have.  T

Therefore i'll be happy with, from the start only adding an  LSD and maybe throttle bodies from the options list.

SteveB

'IMO' I wouldn't buy a self build kit if your only reason to self build is because of the cost.

Self builds take a lot of time, patience and knowledge (or in my case people you know with knowledge) to complete. I personally found it difficult some times, such as a dark winter evening, to get myself into the garage and put in another few hundred rivets.

This is of course (again IMO) out weighed by the joy etc you get from self building. I also used it as a way to learn how to look after my car, to be able to ensure it is always in top condition and to now be able to fix it and upgrade it, when I decide what it is that I feel needs changing / upgrading.

I don't see self build as just a money saving exercise, and I wouldn't have got to this stage if the only driving factor to build it was to save money.

I would suggest that you'll always get a better deal buying second hand, however it won't be exactly to your spec, but perhaps this doesn't matter? How can you know what your ideal spec is until you've driven/raced one? You can also satisfy your need to get oilly and lie on the garage floor, replacing and changing bits, whilst still being able to go out for blats between projects.

Sorry I'm waffleing now, to sum up I think you should decide what you want first, self build / second hand / or built by the factory to spec. And then after you've decided that decide on your budget.

But this is just my Opinion!!  :D  :D

The advice regarding making sure you're comparing apples with apples is spot on. The special offer kits do look like good value, but inevitably there will be sundry expenses that push the price up, and then there's the SVA to consider.

Windy's car would blow the "special offer" car into the weeds, and then some.

The moral is, make sure you compare specs and condition *very* carefully when weighing up options...

If i hold off building myself, and next year a car like thats available then it would certainly be bought.  I do like working on cars, and one of the + points with a westfield is it should be massively easier than the mr2 that almost all work has to be done from under the middle of the car.  After working on the mr2 building a westfield doesn't seem at all daunting

Overall though cost wise people don't seem to think anything would be saved, as i would require it is built from new or reconditioned parts?

So my best option really is save £12,000 ish and buy a 2 year old one with the best spec i can find? :)

p.s. I have no intention of going down the modding route, , you can ALWAYS get bigger and better so its best being happy with what you have.  T

uummm who else has said this?  :p  :p

I've been through the same choice...

I opted for the pre build route... My car is three years old pretty much as standard, I have build receipts for nearly 24K from the previous owner, (this does include 4.5K from WF to finish the build) and I paid less then 10K. :D

Already the credit card is building up after saying 'you can always get bigger and better, so why bother'

There will always be plenty of things to go wrong/change or alter to learn about the car and it's mechanics,  I just could'nt handle having the build in the garage for the time it takes when you could be out driving one ;)