build myself, or buy built costs etc

steveb

Hello everyone, decided to put my mr2turbo up for sale this week and invest in a westfield instead.  I won't have the funds to buy a new, or almost new westfield untill next summer.  But I could buy module 1 now,...

so question is what would people recommend, do the module at a time route for a 1.8 zetec or just save up and get either a new factory 1.8 zetec car, or maybe a 1 or 2 year old 2.0 duratec car?

Either way about it i won't be able to afford a whole car untill next year, not having a car isn't an issue as my MR2 spends most of its time broken sat in my garage.

I'm thinking the build yourself route will actually end up more expensive as i'd have to factor in hire of vans to collect modules etc ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steveb

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• perksy

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I bought ready built as didn't have the time (or knowledge) to devote to build.

But speaking to a couple of local members last night, they reckoned that their costs to build were approx. £6,500 and £10,000......

HTH

I am building (see site) and I am having loads of fun learning about the car etc... My budget is only 9k so I have sourced a lot from scrap yards/ebay/internet sites and friends.

I would recommend a self build, but it does depend on what you want...

I looked at the module build and it is very expensive, compare with the sourcing route. But you get what you pay for etc... If you do a self build - set a budget and try and work to it. I have made an excel doc with all my figures in so I can easily see where I have gone under budget and where I can treat myself :D

What's your overall budget?

well, i should get £4000 for my MR2 then i was going to save for a year to add as much as possible to that and possible top it up with a loan.  I want a virtually new car as my 14 year old toyota is now not really capable of staying in one piece on track.  I don't want to get something i keep having to spend money on after buying / building.  Because of this i have decided the list price of a new 1.8 zetec engined car factory built from westfield would be my absolute max budget £13000.

But in an ideal world I'd spend a bit less. £10000 ish

i have decided the list price of a new 1.8 zetec engined car factory built from westfield would be my absolute max budget £13000.

Where did you get this figure? I thought factory built cars started at something like 20k (assuming you're talking a new one)? ???

Edit: Looking at their PDF Price List, it looks like that is the cost of all the modules (£13,499 if you buy them all at once). You'd still have to build it yourself.

According to that document, a factory built 1800i (which will be around the 115 BHP mark I think) is £15,999 OTR.

Andy

i have decided the list price of a new 1.8 zetec engined car factory built from westfield would be my absolute max budget £13000.

Where did you get this figure? I thought factory built cars started at something like 20k (assuming you're talking a new one)? ???

Andy

And me......... ???  ???

See edited post above.

Andy

Special offer at the mo @ £12999 but a chap that Jeff knows bartered them down a little bit :D

Why not look at the starter kit route?

That way you really can build as you get the money.  Order your starter kit minus bodywork (you can put a deposit on that) then you won't have to worry about where to store all that fibreglass - gives you longer to pick a colour too.  Then off you go!

The starter kit will also allow you to choose from a wider variety of engines if you want a car engined Westy, modular builds with car engines are just Zetec or Duratec or V8 aren't they?

Mike

Steve,

You could do what I've done and buy an unfinished project. The total sum of the parts far outweighs the price I paid for my unfinished project. Once someone has had enough of theirs they just want rid of it even if they lose money!

Or you could buy an older car thats on the road and gradually replace components that you have sourced and refurbished or bought new. I would really like to have built a new one from scratch but they are just too expensive. IMHO

I went down the route of buying an 'affordable' fully built car with a reasonable spec (ok - so it's only a Xflow :p;) ) on the basis that I was new to westfields, and didn't know/understand what the 'ultimate' spec. of the car I would like was, or how I was going to make use of it - i.e. what the balance of road / track / competition use may be. Now a couple of years down the line I've tweaked and upgraded various bits of the car, and learned a lot about how they're put together - without spending a lot of money on it, and now know the spec. of the car I want to build, and in the mean-time had loads of fun in the car, and still have a car worth close to what I paid for it

HTH

Steve

Special offer at the mo @ £12999 but a chap that Jeff knows bartered them down a little bit :D

Yes thats the one, i asked for a brochure last week and thats the details they sent me.

I see a lot of cars 3 or 4 years old for sale and the owners are asking this much or sometimes more, for ones that have not been built exclusively from new or recon parts.  Been pushing me towards buying from the factory, ready built.

I understand why they may want that much for their 1 or 2 year old cars if they paid £15000+, buy if the factory has dropped the price then they should too, unlucky for them.

Be very careful that you're comparing apples with apples.

Andy

how so? would a £12,999 inc VAT complete factory from all new parts, for a sport 1800 not be as good as a 2 year old sport 1800 someone else has built but didn't get in the offer on?

:suspect:

Thinking i'm going to go for the factory complete kit unless i can find a complete factory supplied sport 2000 or alike thats 2 - 3 years old for the same money.