Oh dear

bhouse

John - you're absolutely right. Turning circle with the 4.5's is about 45 feet. Cutting the arches out is one option which I thnk Bre (bkeirle) took, and he's certainly got more power than the A series.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bhouse

• tonyl42

• scruffythefirst

• oioi

If you need any help give me a call.

You have PM with my numbers.

An 11 will make an interseting addition to the CamWSCC

Chaz.

"i wander if its possible to put an eleven body on Sei?"

Or more to the point, what about an Sei engine in an eleven :>

Not sure the 4.5" tyres would like it...

According to Richard Smith it is possible to put a dry sumped xflow in there, but anything else wouldn't go.

Can't be that much different than Dave Drews 1993 Westfield (11) SPORT that ran a CVH Turbo....Now that was quick :devil:

can you put a midget coilover front in the 11?

Jonnyboy - the eleven has Westfield designed double wishbone/coilover at the front and live axle/panhard rod with coilover at the rear so I'm spared those lever arm shockers at least.

Or more to the point, what about an Sei engine in an eleven

Read about folks putting K series engines in Midgets a couple of months back. That would be interesting.  Mind you the 11 sounds a hoot to drive with the A series engine anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have given in to the urge and bought an Eleven.  The build manual does seem a little thin, mind you I built my Marlin with very little recourse to the manual and the US Road and Track magazine built their original Westfield XI with no manual at all.

I am planning to stick with the A series as it can be tuned very succesfully, and if I still want more then I have a new blower from a BMW Cooper S courtesy of Ebay.

Looking forward to driving the car, however, since my two children will be "helping" to build it I may have to wait a couple of years!

Any other owners with tips please let me know.

Bye for now.

Hi Matthew,

Very pleased to hear that another eleven is being built - I was beginning to think I was the only one! When does your arrive? Mine is due on July 22.

Can't wait...

Brian

Evo magazine last month tested an Eleven, and despite its lack of power they really rated it and every driver was full of praise.

Good luck with your builds.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have already started mine, picked the Midget up 24 June and the Westfield on the 25th.

The front suspension on the Midget has been a bit of a pig to dismantle, I ended up bringing one upright in to work as the brake caliper bolts were stuck.  In the end it took 3 of us to undo them, one with the Oxy supplying heat, me with a 3 foot bar bracing and another chap with a big extension on the spanner.  Went well until one sheared.  Still it came out in the end.

The rear end hasn't been quite so difficult yet, but having a fully equipped workshop helps!  The hydraulic press for pressing in the suspension bushes for instance.

.... ah! the pleasure of working on rusty BMC cars  :)  bings back painful memories of running Mom's old MGBGT while at uni.

Still, the Eleven will be a beaut when its finished - good on ya! :t-up:

Having run a couple of MGs in the past (Midget 1500 and MGC GT, I found that one of the best things about them was the availability of remanufactured or reconditioned parts at a really good price, off the shelf at hundreds of different suppliers.  It may be worth joing the MGOC just to get a copy of their suppliers directory.  Got to be better than skinning your knuckles for the sake of a rusty steering arm, etc...

I've joined the MGOC (but don't dare admit to them what I'm doing to one of their beloved cars) and I've found the Moss catalogue invaluable. Having also lost various arguments with rusted up bits of brakes and front suspension I'm buying new/refurbed parts. What it costs in money it saves in frustration! The most valuable bit of the midget is the chassis number - dates from 1972 hence 'historic' road tax level :)