Crash Helmet and racing overalls

Richard Houlgate

I have to buy these and would like some advice as the choice seems large and confusing.

1. Where is the best place to buy? I live in Shrewsbury

2. Is it best to get a full or open face crash helmet? What are the pros and cons?

3. I intend to buy overalls fit for circuit racing. Is there any advantage in buying an expensive pair or should I aim for the cheapest I can find?

4. Are boots, gloves and balaclava essential?

Thanks

Richard

2. Is it best to get a full or open face crash helmet? What are the pros and cons?

3. I intend to buy overalls fit for circuit racing. Is there any advantage in buying an expensive pair or should I aim for the cheapest I can find?

1. Either Demon Tweeks or Grand Prix Racewear have a good selection.

2. Full face if you ask me, don't know if you have to have one, but it was a no-brainer for me. Pros and cons? I guess better sideway visibility with an open face, but then I don't fancy the idea of a stone in the mush...

3. I bought a Sparco Sprint 2 layer suit. Not that expensive. If I were circuit racing I might have paid more and gone for a lighter 3 layer suit.

4. Not essential, but I bought gloves and boots.

Andy

The ins and outs of safety gear for sprinting can be found in the Speed Series section (click the link on the home page, and scroll down to the introduction to sprinting link)

Best policy is always to get the best you can afford in terms of safety equipment.

Shrewsbury - nearest place is Demon Tweeks - don't buy via mail order on a skid lid - always try them all on, different makes have different fits  ;)  ;)  ;)

I have both an open and full face skid lid and much prefer the full face  ;)  ;) its a Bell

If you do go for open face you will still need goggles or a clip on visor  ;)  :D

as has been noted before download a beginners guide it will give you the info you need  ;)  ;)  :D and buy the best you can afford  ;)  :D its a safety issue - don't compromise  ;)

and buy the best you can afford  ;)  

that'll be a yellow builders hard hat and disposal suit for me then....   :blush:

Wow! Impressive speed of response.

Thanks, it looks like the DTs for me. (Or does that age me?!;)

IIRC, OMP 3 layer suits aren't much more than the Sparco 2 layer. I use an OMP, plus gloves, boots and a balaclava. It's a nice suit...

I bought from Tweeks...

For helmets, MOST IMPORTANT is that you get one with a BS6658A, or BS6658A/FR (FR = fire resistant...) or SNELL 2000 rating. The ECE22 standard for motorcycle helmets which is most common in UK helmet selling shops is NOT LEGAL in UK motorsport.

Oh, and get a full face one.

that'll be a yellow builders hard hat

Also available in both blue and white  :D  :D  :D

I have to buy these and would like some advice as the choice seems large and confusing.

Thanks

Richard

1. Mail order, get the DT catalogue for reference and then compare retailers

2. Full face...stones and if you're running an aero, then rain as well (even light drizzle hurts at over 100)

3. Cheapest will do, as long as it's got the right standards for what you want

4. No, but it depends on what you're going to do. I bought mine because I've got more sense than money*

Question is, why do you "have to buy" these?

*...and I've got a lot of money**

**...that's a lie  :D

there is some good deals to be had here

good package stuff if you use the scroll-down menu in the top right.

i know its a little different but i use the OMP high ankle type race boots for karting and cant fault them. as for my suit and gloves, they are a sparco level 2 combination, so nothing fancy but my advice on a helmet would be full face and spend as much as you possibly can. as others have said before, what price will you put on your head if anything were to happen?

HTH

that'll be a yellow builders hard hat

Also available in both blue and white  :D  :D  :D

where is your sense of style Mr. S?

I have a yellow nose cone and arches  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  silly man.....

Question is, why do you "have to buy" these?

Because I expect they won't let me race up Loton Park (my local hill) without them

there is some good deals to be had here

maybe I am missing something but these look like kart suites and don't appear to be fireproof.....

Correct. Kart suits *ARE NOT* legal for MSA car racing/sprinting/hillclimbing/rallying etc etc.

Correct. Kart suits *ARE NOT* legal for MSA car racing/sprinting/hillclimbing/rallying etc etc.

I'm sure that everyone is aware that this is dealt with in the excellent article under the Speed Series tab 'Beginners Guide to Spriniting'