• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Underfloor brake pipe routing

Pingu

Hi all,

Slowly getting somewhere with my build and am getting close to fitting brake pipes. I notice the build manual shows to route them front to rear along the floor below the drivers side.

However, I intend to do some track time and I'm a little worried if I have an "off" day I may damage them - have any of you routed them either internally or through the tunnel? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geofff

• Toby Mack

• ChrisG

• Pingu

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people (me included) stick all the pipework through the tunnel as its much less likely to be damaged during an "off".

Didnt really like the idea of a brake pipe being only 4 inches of the deck with no protection.

If your using new pipes it shouldnt be any harder to route the through the tunnel than sticking them acrross the floorpan.

Hi Gromit,

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll do the same (unless someone else posts with other info).

Best order my clips then...

P.

I would agree, certainly go through the tunnel if you can. Do Westfield really recommend routing them along the bottom of the floor?  :suspect:

They have done of late. Current manuals I believe have brake and fuel lines under the drivers floor. The discussion we had before was that whilst intuitively they appear to be rather vulnerable, justy how many of us have actually ever grounded the floor on a speed hump/kerb/etc?

That said, I feel a lot better for having my loom/fuel/brake lines in the transmission tunnel...

justy how many of us have actually ever grounded the floor on a speed hump/kerb/etc?

Once or twice :down:  :down:

Glad mine are tucked away

David

Yes  route down the tunnel for the reason peviously mentioned. I still cant believe the manual says to go under the floor. I fitted mine along the  tunnel chassis rail. Easier to do if you havent fitted the tunnel side panels yet.

My road car has them down the floor and I have not had a problem with them in the last 7 years. That said now eusa_pray.gif

Ive ground the bolts that hold my seat in on a couple of times on speed bumps. If I had fuel / brake pipes under there too I possibly wouldnt have proceeded over the speedbump without checking first, but who wants to have to get out every time there's a speed bump just to check it doesnt ground out! Also loading onto an angled trailer could be another way of squashing them without realising until you're at the first corner of your trackday and realise you have no brakes!  :D

I would say that for normal road use, and perhaps the odd track day, you'd have to be very unlucky to have a problem with them running under the floor pan.

I would immagine that regular track use is different though. Do they look at that sort of thing in scrutineering?

I too have hit my floor on a speed hump. I have also bashed it a few times doing grass autotests but that is a different matter.

Don't forget it is not just humps. My floor also has a dent in it where a stone was thrown up by a front wheel and caught it.

I can't see why the tunnel should not be used unless you are worried about propshafts getting loose :0

Even if you have a propshaft come loose then if you route the pipes properly (ie right in a corner next to a chassis rail) then they are unlikely to get whacked by the flailing prop

/voe  :D