Trailering

geofff

I'll use the "multiple chassis to trailer rails" method rather than the "wheel to trailer rail" method.

Geofff,

Just be carefull. If you tie down chassis, go over bump, body moves down on suspension and can move while straps are slack. This will also put loadings on the straps that they not necessarily designed for when the body snaps back up. Not to mention the load on the body itself. Holding wheels means body can float freely on suspension but can't actually 'move'.

My car isn't securely strapped down unless I have compressed the suspension a little bit. No problems at all in 5 years of towage. I also take the precaution of using straps that are rated to 2 tonnes, so stress from any bouncing around should be well within tolerance...

Don't forget to leave it in gear.

NO NO NO. *Never* leave the car in gear on a trailer. If it does rock or move whilst under tension, you might break a gear. And for Gods sake don't ever tie the car down whilst it's in gear.

FWIW my process is this.

Car on to trailer.

Handbrake on, 'box in neutral.

Lower nose of trailer so that the trailer is level, or if on non level ground, hook up to tow vehicle.

Tie car down with straps through the chassis.

Release handbrake and check tension of straps. Re tension any slackers...

Engage handbrake.

Get in to tow car.

Leave, cocking a snook at all those who won something... :down:

:durr:

I stand corrected  :blush:

but in the interests of those that thought it at least I raised a valid point IYSWIM ???

all the same ... I'll get my coat  :D

Hi,

I must admit I have put a car in gear before.  :)

But.....the WF is now on the trailer parked outside (getting VERY wet) and ready to go to Aldon in the morning. And it's not in gear and it is tied down with three straps and the handbrake is on and I moved the wheel chocks from the previous owners cateringvan position to suit my WF! About 6" further back.

As I winched it (sling connected over body to rollbar) on I crunched the O/S indicator pod  :durr: small crack in the gel coat  :durr: . It is a race car though and it's bound to get a little contact and I can put a sticker over it.  :D  :durr:  I'll also be swapping the pods for repeater indicators  :)

This shouldn't happen when the car has full roll cage on as the pick up for the winch strap will be further forward and at same height.

Ta

Geoff

:)

I always leave my car in gear when towing and always will as my handbreak is not that sharp.

No problems in all the time I have towed :p

Ahhhh....well I used to do so on my Alfa 33 when I raced it.

And I sort of replaced the gearbox three times..........I got very good at getting them in & out though  :D  Had the engine in and out a few times too.

I must admit I put it down to the fact that I was throwing well used boxes in and just hoping they'd hang together - which mostly they did.

Ta

Geoff

:)

P.S.

Rob haven't you got anything better to do?

Before you say it - I'm still working!

Rob haven't you got anything better to do?

Before you say it - I'm still working!

I had just come in from the garrage  :down:  :down:  :down: