Trailering

geofff

Hi,

Just been searching on the net for ratchet straps - I've got about three or four but I'm sure I've seen some that loop over the wheels and you tension to the outside of the trailer from the wheel.

Anybody else seen them ∨ know where I can buy them from?

Is this them at Machine Mart:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product....2&g=110

I've just realised - do you put these behind the wheel and the metal ends stick out to the side of the wheels and then you use a loooonnnggg strap front to back of trailer? But how do you make sure they are tight to the wheel?  ???

Anybody used them? Any good?  ???

Ta

Geoff

:)

What size wheels/rubber do you have..?

Getting them over the wheels and under the cycle wings can be abit tricky....

I found the normal straps around the chassis was easier  :)

Used very similar just the other week.

We put the strap through the front wheel and back out so both ends were outside the wheel with it looped through enough spokes so that the two ends wouldn't touch.

Ratchet strap hooked onto the trailer then through both metal loops, under the trailer to the other side and then the same on the other front wheel.  Repeated on the back.

Ratcheted it up and then drove approx 100 miles to Angelsey then back (after a few very enjoyable laps of the track  with several spins thrown in).

Car didnt budget at all.

Our trailer has metal runners going across so the wheels sit in the gap between two.  The car would need to rise up over the runner to move forwards or backwards.

Not sure if this is the correct way to do it or if you should do it differently on a flat bedded trailer but it worked for us.

HTH

Hmmm,

Wouldn't be able to do it on the rear wheels as they don't stick out from the bodywork and the front WILL have problems with cycle wings.

I hate trailering. :(

Many straps around car chassis at different points it is then.

No handbrake (after SVA) as it's not needed for racing will increase the likelihood of movement.

I have got wheel blocks at the front - then just strapped down at every point I can. I have rails on the side but that still knackers the alloys if it does move   :(

MANY straps.

Ta

Geoff

An alternative would be to use 2 smaller ratchet straps on each wheel looped through a spoke. One pulling forward & diagonally out to the edge of the trailer, and the other backwards the same.

These are the ones that I bought:

Vehicle lashing

I got my wheel straps, called choker straps, complete with wear sleeves and two ratchet assemblies from Wessex rope and packaging tel 01202 661006. You can specify the length of ratchet you want,I had 4 metres. You then thread the end of the strap thru the choker ends and ratchet up. The girl was really helpful there faxed me pictures to be sure I had the right thing. £8.50 per ratchet and £8.00 per choker plus vat and delivery. :cool:

Don't use those Geoff they ruin yer wheels  ;)  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down: You can get some "soft straps" from Machine Mart  ;)  ;)  ;) and they work just fine "hooking" over wheels and through the cyle wings no probs by laying flat and feeding through  ;)  ;)  ;)

Don't use those Geoff they ruin yer wheels  ;)  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:

You just put a cloth over the wheels to protect them. Even the 'soft' ones will rub, so it's a good idea to cover them regardless even if you just loop a lashing through your spokes :)

You just put a cloth over the wheels to protect them
No good telling me that now  :durr:  :D  :blush:  :blush:  :down:  :D  :D + when its raining sideways and you've just finished sprinting and wanna get warm and dry wrapping soft towels around straps is last thing on your mind  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :D  :D  :blush:

Get the sort that have hooks on the ends and weld some loops onto your chassis to hook them onto at the car end. Why spend £ have a chassis setup to then go and pull it about ith ratchet straps on the wheels and therefore the suspenson joints?  ???

John

Yeh........................good idea Mr L  ;)  :D

Thanks All,

Lots of possibilities.

I've got enough ratchet straps so I might see how I get on this Wednesday going upto Birmingham. I'll use the "multiple chassis to trailer rails" method rather than the "wheel to trailer rail" method.

Ta

Geoff