New racing series.

Keith Scarfe

Car looks great Keith, Good luck with the season and bring some trophies home

Buzz

Keith,

Seeing as you race in the series can you spread some light on this.... was looking at the rules for Britsports/Goldarts (they're on the www.eerc.co.uk website) and regarding weights and power says the following:-

Minimum Weights   Britsports & Gold Arts

The minimum weights are as follows:

D up to 1800 cc min900 kg grp n  HP180

C up to 2000 cc min950 kg grp n HP 220

B up to 2500 cc min1000 kg grp n+ HP240

A up to 2800cc min1050 kg grp n+ HP260

Is this correct???  It seems to say that the minimum weight is 900kg... surely nearly all the cars on the grid are lighter than this????   ....They can't be ballasted up to 900kg can they.... that'd destroy most of the performance of a car like these (Radicals and Westy's).......

Machin

Hi Machin.

I am very new to this championship so am still finding this stuff out myself, but as far as I know the regs seem to not matter. Essentially anything goes. Any car is eligible including full Le-Mans LMP type cars. What they do is split the Britsports into 3 classes:

Class 1 for fastest stuff (SR8's, Le-Mans Prototypes),

Class 2 for slower spotrs cars like Prosport's, SR3, SR4's,

Gold Arts for every thing else like Caterhams and Westfields (7 types - I think XTRn would go in class 2).

The weights and engine sizes don't seem to matter. It is up to the organisers which class they put you in. No one mentions anything about weight. If you want to win therefore, you would have the highest spec car you can get away with in your class. For example there is a Prosport in our class with a 1500 supercharged engine about 350bhp. We don't stand a chance in our standard 1300 Prosport. They should put them in class 1 really. So it is all down to how much you can afford. We would never win the wallet race so we are hoping to pick up places with consistency and reliability. We are doing it for the fun / experience. These are professional teams.

If you want proper confirmation you should contact the organisers. Are you considering doing it then?

Regards.

Keith.

Are you considering doing it then?

...No, I wish.... Just got the Westy up to a point where I'm happy with it (the usual "sporty" mods... small headlights, carbon fibre wings, light weight seats, etc).

I'm a bit "sad" in that when I'm watching racing I like to know the technical rules for each class (I'm an Engineer, which I suppose explains it, but doesn't excuse it!;).  It seems a bit strange that "the rules" are posted on the official website and aren't actually enforced....

"It is up to the organisers which class they put you in"

-This means you can't know which class you'd be in until you turn up.... so you spend X amount of money upgrading your car, hoping it'll put you to the top of the class, but then the organisers decide to put you up a class... where you're left floundering around at the bottom again... all seems pretty strange to me......  You're right, I'll have to E-mail the people at EERC (I was hoping this would be explained in the event programme from Brands, but unfortunetly its not.... its a shame.... each F3/GT programme has a short paragraph on each class/race describing the cars that are raced).

Anyway, cheers for now.

Machin

OK, should've scrolled down the rules a bit more, found this....

Britsports & Gold Arts

Errata

1. The classes will be determined according to lap-times so that at the end of qualifying a line will be drawn and the Britsports field will be divided in two.

....So what they're saying is.... drive around qualifying as slow as you can (but not too slow... that'll look suspicious).... then you'll be put down into class two... and then you can easily win your class because you've really got a "class 1" speed car....

You'd be gutted if you pulled out all the stops in qualifying, only to be put down as the slowest car in class 1....

But then that doesn't explain why in the programme the cars were already put into classes... but the qualifying didn't happen til after the programme was printed!!!!

I'm Confused  :bangshead:

Yes except that because the organisers know everyone in the championship personally they know how quick you are. The EERC only do the Britcar, Britsports and Production championships (all at the same meeting every time) so they know everyone. If you are a new name to them (like Jonathan was this season) they talk to you and find out what car you have and thus how quick you are expected to be. This defines your class. If you are suddenly fantastically quicker (fit bigger engine during the season) they will talk to you again about putting you up a class. (Though I have not seen this done hence that really quick one in our class). I think this is how it works.