Torque figures

Dracoro

Oh I want to calculate it, and calculate it as accurately as possible. I was trying to show that we could at least get a quick 'n' dirty set of figures using some fairly simple maths. Of course I expected to be granted a margin for error without actually having to ask for one.

Still, at least it's better than working... :0:D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Matt Seabrook

• ChrisG

• ian crocker

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember now, but probably. *Shuffles back to page 1*

Adding 10% on to the figure I calculated for Matt (166ft/lb's) makes it 182ft/lbs. How accurate the rollers are is another matter though, so don't gloat too much :p

:p Me gloat  :D  I must be honest I was not expecting to get more than 180lbft and was more than a little shocked when it made that much. Still the car goes a bit made when you get to 5000rpm and the power curve when from 150bhp at 5000rpm to 200bhp at 5500rpm which would explain the kick in the back you get. Rob at Robspeed did say that the Vx really make the power people claim of it and not to expect really big figures.  ;)

how many posts can blatman edit in one thread?

All of them. Typing fast and good spelling/grammer are not easy bedfellows when you've only got two fingers and half a brain to use...

Rolling roads that inaccurately set the ratio between roller speed and engine speed give misleading torque outputs, but realistic power outputs. When you get curves from a rolling road the power curve is generally trustworthy (apart from its scaling against the rpm axis) and the torque curve needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I can't see how the power curves can be trusted if the torque curves can't be, considering that the power output is calculated FROM the torque output at given rpm. ???

how many posts can blatman edit in one thread?

All of them. Typing fast and good spelling/grammer are not easy bedfellows when you've only got two fingers and half a brain to use...

:p  Edit required to read 'grammar'  :p

Edited to add; Do I get the two fingers now?

Not read this tread before. Sits holding head in hands......  Not the torque / power debate again.

Good to see Ian Crocker back posting here again, with his usual knowledge. The masses will never understand BMEP etc though :D

To be fair it was a slightly different slant on that old chestnut, at least it didnt get onto "torque wins races" or torque at the crank against torque at the wheels :D

I recently got 162lb/ft@4959 and 175.7bhp@6006, on a standard 2ltr Zetec with throttle bodies.