• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick M

• Arm

• karlgurney

• Blatman

I know a lot of people in 750mc run 185 all round when they could go 205 simply because the feel of the car is much greater. I'd like to do a straight forward test 205v185 to see if the ultimate lap time is quicker and if so, how easy is a 205 car to drive quickly compared to a 185. Unfortunately I don't have the cash to buy the extra set of tyres. If anyone else has done this I'd be interested. :)

I have to admit I often prompt others to explain why wider tyres are better (dont usually get a reasoned/informed view) because I have tested around Curborough identical tyres (with varying pressures to compensate etc) in various sizes and have not conclusively found wider to be better. Sufficient to say I therefore picked 195 to sprint and hillclimb.

I dont know if road use only would require a different size  however I use road tyres (1A's) for racing.

At least I can use the excuse that my tyres are too wide/narrow, and use all kinds of bull to explain why when I start sprinting  :D:D:D:D:D

Might even sound like I know what I'm talking about - which would be a first!

:cool::cool::cool:

I have to admit I often prompt others to explain why wider tyres are better (dont usually get a reasoned/informed view) because I have tested around Curborough identical tyres (with varying pressures to compensate etc) in various sizes and have not conclusively found wider to be better. Sufficient to say I therefore picked 195 to sprint and hillclimb.

I dont know if road use only would require a different size  however I use road tyres (1A's) for racing.

I wonder how much of that is down to :

- the tyres not showing much extra grip

- whether the difference between a 195/50/15 and a 205/50/15 list 1A tyre is really just too small to make an appreciable difference - it's only an extra 10-15mm or about 5% tread width

- the nature of the track at Curborough, i.e. relatively short

- whether the tyres actually get up to a decent working temperature round a 30 or 60 second "lap"

Would it be more apparent around a circuit with a wider variety of corners where some proper heat could be generated ?  Is it a whole different ball-game once you start looking at race tyres, especially slicks, rather than tyres which are a real compromise on a light car like a Westfield ?

In the same way you express doubts about wider tyres being better because of your experience, I remain unconvinced that they're *not* better for, I suspect, precisely the same reasons.  There are simply too many variables and unknowns.   Have you run the car round a g-circle on the different tyres to see if there's any difference in lateral loads generated by different tyres ?

I will say again, however, that width clearly isn't everything - it's just one part of the equation.  Why else would a 6" wide slick tyre generate so much more grip than an ACB10 and in turn a "normal" 185/60/13 road tyre ?  They're all the same width (more or less) but tyre construction and compound are probably by far the biggest influences on grip.  The difference in my car running on concrete 185/60/13 road tyres and 6" wide slicks was like driving a go-kart and a 2CV.

whether the difference between a 195/50/15 and a 205/50/15 list 1A tyre is really just too small to make an appreciable difference - it's only an extra 10-15mm or about 5% tread width

I have tried upto 225 and not noticed a difference.

the nature of the track at Curborough, i.e. relatively short

- whether the tyres actually get up to a decent working temperature round a 30 or 60 second "lap"

Maybe but I was testing tyres for sprinting.

In the same way you express doubts about wider tyres being better because of your experience, I remain unconvinced that they're *not* better for, I suspect, precisely the same reasons.  There are simply too many variables and unknowns.   Have you run the car round a g-circle on the different tyres to see if there's any difference in lateral loads generated by different tyres ?

Cant say I have. So I guess you have done some testing and can share your findings.

I will say again, however, that width clearly isn't everything - it's just one part of the equation.  Why else would a 6" wide slick tyre generate so much more grip than an ACB10 and in turn a "normal" 185/60/13 road tyre ?  They're all the same width (more or less) but tyre construction and compound are probably by far the biggest influences on grip.  The difference in my car running on concrete 185/60/13 road tyres and 6" wide slicks was like driving a go-kart and a 2CV.

Thinks we all agree on that.

I'm sure Blatters will easily maintain his position in the field with 125/50- 15s

:D  :0  :0

b******d...

And the rest of you...

And let's face it, how many purpose built racing cars (which aren't constrained by specific wheel / tyre size regs) do you see with the same tyre size all round ??  Not many.   Which implies there is a benefit to having larger tyres when they're needed.

They also have the benefit of tyre warmers... and bigger tyres take longer to warm up.

I talk from the vantage point of almost complete ignorance, but I'd have thought that getting your tyres hot asap would be pretty important when sprinting.

For what it's worth I've just fitted narrower tyres to my 130bhp 'Blade going from 205 to 185 all round. Wider tyres are also more likely to aquaplane IMHO.