SECURE TAX DISC HOLDER

brian d

For the minimul amounts that police stop kit cars, the amount of miles the majority of us do and the wonders of modern photocopiers I think its worth the tiny risk

the fine for failing to display is minimal, the fine for fraudulent useage can run into the thousands  ;)

When I take mine on the road I keep the tax disk in my wallet.

That way if I'm stopped I can produce it.

I don't do many road miles though :D

I do the same for both Westfields and my motorbike. I have been asked why on a couple of occasions, and I tell them it's crime prevention...

As has been said, with modern systems the patrol cars with OCR cameras know which cars are taxed and which aren't, and if you can produce a valid tax disc if you do get stopped, I think you'd be pretty unlucky to actually get a ticket for not displaying. Of course if you do get a ticket, you can always appeal and try and get the ticket overturned...

I like the photocopy idea. I don't think it'd be fraud as the only one you'd be defrauding is the scumbag who nicks it. You have paid the tax, and can easily prove that you aren't defrauding the exchequer by simply displaying a facsimilie of a legally held document...

When I take mine on the road I keep the tax disk in my wallet.

That way if I'm stopped I can produce it.

I don't do many road miles though :D

I do the same for both Westfields and my motorbike.

If parked in a Town centre with Mr Trafficwarden on the Prowl  :angry:

Is there a chance that he Would want to report you for not displaying a current tax disc  ??? (even though you had it in your wallet)

Just curious because i've just bought a Motorbike tax disc holder and was thinking where to fix it, if it needed to be visible or not  ???

How does plod/parking attendant know it hasn't been nicked? IME (and remember, I worked as a despatch rider for the 80's and a good part of the 90's), it's just not a problem. I haven't displayed a tax disc on my bike for getting on for 20 years. I realise that it's a risk, and that I may just be lucky. But for this long? In London? What are the odds?

I have always been able to produce it when asked, which is *very* important. When they question why it isn't displayed, I say that it prevents it getting nicked and having to report a crime. I'm always straight with them and try and keep a "no nonsense" tone in my voice. Remember, when they realise they're dealing with a regular tax payer, and not some pikey who's trying to dodge it, they're normally pretty reasonable about it...

I do the same for both Westfields and my motorbike.

Actually, that's not true. I bought a bike type tax disc holder for the green car a while ago :0 It's mounted on the tag for the hood stick on the foot of the roll bar. IE, it's not visible from the front of the vehicle. Never been stopped in the green car. Well, not in the UK at any rate :0

But no disc displayed on me bike for 20 years or so still stands...

At the end of the day like Blatman says you've paid your tax and are displaying a tax disc, even tho it is a copy, if challenged about this I'm sure its not going to be hard to prove your point

Yeah, but if A N Other reports you, you get a chance to have your say. Innocent until proven guilty. Unless they have a photo of your car not displaying a valid tax disc, where's the evidence for the prosecution?