Bonnet attachment

KerryS

My everso favourite build manual refers to bonnet locks with keys and a thingy riveted to the chassis - can't find them.

Can find some over-centre toggle catches though.

Think I'd prefer the key lock jobs, 'cept you need to be a 6" midget to get in and find where the thingy on the chassis goes.

Fact, being a 6" midget would help to find where the Rivnut holes for the nose cone go as well.

Don't suppose we have any 6" midgets in the club do we...

Kerry S :sheep:  :sheep:  :bangshead:

Kerry

I would always go with the over center locks.

At least with these you can see at a glance and be sure that your bonnet is attached.  Not as easy with the key locks.

Too many people have had bonnets fly off.

You can get the over centers through the SVA with rubber boots suplied in the Westfield SVA pack.

( Don't tell anyone but I quite like the 9-5 )

Rob

I think the locking catches look far neater, and give at least some sense of security, (even if you could crowbar one off in a millisecond).

However, I fitted overcentres, I didn't really want to, but at every show I went to in the last couple of years, almost everysingle WF owner I saw putting bonnets with locking catches back on seemed to end up with a right old performance. Sometimes the locks didn't look like they'd caught the tabs, sometimes they keys wouldn't turn fully. ANd almost always, the owner then seemed to spend another five minutes pulling and tugging on the bonnet to make sure it was secure.

The overcentre catches are done up in seconds, and one look will tell you if they're fastened or not.

Don't like 'em, but I'll live with them.

It was flying bonnets that was on my mind too. Haven't opened the SVA bag yet, looked boring. Will do now tho' Rob.

Thanks too, Gadgetman.

Saabs are OK; years ago had choice of Saab 99 or Volvo 245. Saab dealer was sooo unhelpful, bought Volvo. Had 4 more since with another soon if I can find the right one. Love to tell the Saab guy he's lost so many sales.

Kerry S

Flying bonnets and key locks don't normally go together, it is over centre catches that usually spring open. Assuming that you fit the key locks properly ( you ARE building it properly aren't you? ) they are not at all problematic - they look better, are more SVA 'friendly', don't spring open and on the type I have fitted, unless the lock is closed, they will not allow the bonnet to fit completely so it is very obvious visually that they are not locked up.

They are, however, a b***ard to fit but then so are other bits of the car and there are ways and means :D:D  There were no 6" club members around when I fitted mine ( unfortunately ) so it was a case of measuring several time before finally fitting - this worked out fine but there is a slight difference between the left and right hand sides of the bonnet with regard to angle and this has to be allowed for. I also installed a couple of cable ties around the tabs to allow me to 'fine tune' the tightness of the fit. I now know that if the bonnet is flush with the side of the body tub, the locks are correctly closed and secure.

Fitted locks to mine, and if you haven`t met me I`m not actualkly that far off a 6" dwarf!!!

I fitted mine in the wrong order, if you read the manual you should actually fit them with the scuttle removed which should make it far easier.

What I did with mine was to fit the barrels and then fit a large lump of blue tack to the chasis.  I then fitted the keepers to the barrel cath and put the bonnet in place, pushing down while I did so.  I then fitted the keepers where the indent in the blue tack was.  Paitience is the key, it really is a case of measure and check 837 times, cut once.

Chatting to Jonny boy, when he fitted his he made over sized holes, and bolted the keepers in place rather than riviting.  This means that you can simnply adjust its position by slackening offand moving.

I think the locks do look far better, but can be a pain to fit.  Still, you`ve built a whole car so locks should be no problem.  Have faith......

I'll make it three votes for locks, tricky to fit at first but look a whole lot neater, I've had over 7000 miles worth of motoring in the past 9 months and not had a problem with the locks coming off. But as with any locks exposed to the elements just give them a squirt of WD40 every now and then to keep them turning freely.

Malc.

I had locks on my previous westi (bought 2nd hand, factory built).

The locks were a reeeeeal pain IMO, some times took several minutes just to get them to engage. What a crap design.

I agree that they do look better and I pondered for quite a while with my build before opting for the catches. The ones supplied by WF now are spring loaded so shouldn't rattle loose. Also I didn't want to spend the £35 to buy them from WF.

Each to their own I guess :D

HTH,

SD

Locks for me

I had trouble with em sticking but solved the problem with a dodge of lube.

But imo even if you forget to "do" the bonnet locks the locating pins at the front make sure it wont blow off .

:)

If I were building (or when I am - ever hopeful) I would use locks. For looks and added security even with the issue gadgetman mentioned.

Currently mine has dzus fasteners.

No real advice, just adding to your poll.

Martin

Think I'd prefer the key lock jobs, 'cept you need to be a 6" midget to get in and find where the thingy on the chassis goes

yep I vote for locks too. much neater IMO. not had any problems with mine sticking - I think the trick is to spend time getting the alignment spot-on when fitting. as you say, it's a pain of a job, made easier by removing the scuttle (I actually hadn't fitted mine).

moomin