How much bhp out of a 1.8 litre Zetec?

Steve L

There are currently 3 1.8 L Zetecs being offered in the German eBay. Although I don't have the money to tune an engine at the moment, if I could pick one up for small change, I might do it just to have it for future work.

How much horsepower could I expect to get out of a 1.8 Zetec under the conditions 1) best price to benefit ratio and 2) I would like it to be reasonably robust.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Depends on induction and management.

On standard Ford injection they run 105, 115 or 130bhp depending on engine.

A 130bhp spec engine should see around 155bhp on throttle bodies. After that it's anyones guess ....

And remember, *any* Zetec 1.8 engine can be converted to 130bhp (155bhp on TB's) spec by adding the cams from a 2.0l Zetec, as I understand it.

Putting 2.0l cams in a 1.8 Zetec is a *very* common modification...

I am running a 1800 Zetec .

Stage 2 head

Luminition TB's

Luminition Ignition

High lift cam's (type unknown)

Arp Bolts

179 bhp atm  ..(Still not enough :p  )

Persil

Yep ive done the cam thing and it made a hell of a diffrence, freind of mine had 175BHP out of a 1.8 with head work and cams so you can get some respectable power from them, the main dif between the 1.8 and the 2.0 is the torque figure.

My car went from 115BHP on carbs with stnd cam to 153BHP with 2.0l cams and TB's set up at Emerald. and im a very happy chappy :D

Mine is standard speedsport spec with mbe ecu, Jenvey throttle bodies & I've fitted a new silencer from JP exhausts & it has a dry sump system, had it remapped at Nobles last year and it produced 171BHP, that's with standard cams, head etc.

HTH,

Mark.  :t-up:

p.s. if you want a good, tough engine that will produce consistently decent power at a reasonable cost you can't beat a zetec imo.

p.s. if you want a good, tough engine that will produce consistently decent power at a reasonable cost you can't beat a zetec imo.

Except with an XE :D

Andy

Leopard and spot change Mr H  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D

Except with an XE :D

Or a cossie, Xflow, k series, bike engine, lawnmower, hamster, v8 :0???:p:p

Leopard and spot change Mr H  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D

I believe the word you're looking for is 'turncoat' :t-up:

:D

Andy

£ for £ its Xe for me ! :p

Cossie engine - it's a cracker but will need a rebuild & is too heavy.

Xflow -good engine but you'll struggle to find one now that doesn't need a rebuild and they leak for fun.

K series -Headgasket anyone?

Bike engine -Fine but not my cup of tea.

Lawnmower -now you're talking...... :D

:p

Scott I have a busa but still have an XE in the blue car!  :p

Cossie engine - it's a cracker but will need a rebuild & is too heavy.

But the easily available and useable power will even this out, no problem. An atmo on TB's can be made to produce 300bhp and still be reasonably reliable and drivable. Even more is available if you go to the trouble of a 2.4, or the expense of a 2.5 Millington Diamond...

Bitebitebitebitebite...  :D