Lowered floor

I was looking at the lowered floor on the Westfield demo at Autosport on Friday.  Looks as if it might be possible to engineer a retro-fit version which would help me get my head below the roll bar.

Anyone had any thoughts or tempted to have a go?  The reduced ground clearance could be a problem but it already is.

John

A mate had a Porsche RSK replica kit with lowered floor pans and it was a b#*~#r for grounding and it hurt when it did at speed. :0

Just recommending a little caution if running a very low car. With enthusiasm mine grounds out as it is on certain roads ???

Preferably with back stays too :p:p:p

It did have stays, but I never got round to modifying the boot to fit them.

Andy

John, depending on how much extra head to roll bar clearance you need, and what seats you have you could fix the seat directly to the floor doing away with the runners.

I've just done it on mine and I now sit about an inch lower, every little helps.........

Cheers,

Mark.

Only trouble is the b*******s got fixed welded in stays, that'd be fun trying to fit the bootbox aswell...... :oops:  :D  :D

If the car is primarly for road use, then I wouldn't risk it, it's just too low. I'd be looking at roll bar mod's or lowering the seat.

For a race car, it's a great idea. Lowers the weight of the driver too!

I read this forum from Germany. Are lowered floor pans commercially available in GB or do you have to make your own? I am not sure if you are looking for advice on how to do it or just looking for other people's experiences. A friend of mine here with an SEight lowered his floor, maybe 2 inches. If you want more information, I can put you in touch with him. You can email me directly because I don't read this forum every day (But for sure when I have a problem I can't solve): westy91@gmx.de

Thanks for the replies.  Certainly the RAC rollbar is on the priority list and a GRP seat mounted to the floor.  However having measured everything up, I would still like to be an inch lower to avoid making the roll bar look too much like a scaffolding tower.  

The demo vehicle floor appeared to consist largely of modifications that could be done to an existing chassis.

(Wonder if hydraulic ride height adjustment could be fitted?? :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

John

Dax do a lowered floor on thier long wheelbase version - its thick GRP and is riveted to the floor like the standard ali panel.  Certainly retrofitable, although I'm not sure if the dimensions would fit a westy...

By the way, I have the scaffolding tower version of the rollbar. When I think of how it could literally save my neck one day, I think it looks beautiful.

I think I'm going to need a taller roll bar as well (not sure I fancy a lower floor pan with the roads round here!;).

I'm nearly 6'5" tall (taller upper body). Already needed 3" on the steering column to be able to turn the steering wheel (after SVA I'll be swapping to an 11" suede jobby which seemed to come out tops in another loooong thread).

Trouble is at the moment, my darling wife (5' 1 1/2") wants to be able to drive on the road so will have to stick with the Westie sports seats and runners (must add at least 3" to the height cf fibreglass or CF race seats?)

Rich

Trouble is at the moment, my darling wife (5' 1 1/2") wants to be able to drive on the road so will have to stick with the Westie sports seats and runners (must add at least 3" to the height cf fibreglass or CF race seats?)

The Westfield race seats will give you a couple of inches in the leg (probably) and depending on how you mount them, some height too.

Andy