Powder coated alloys - pics?

mak1

Hi guys,

Westy off the road for some fine winter fettling at the mo :devil:

While not wanting to copy anyone's ideas, i'm considering having my alloys powder coated black (options glossy, satin or matt)

Anyone got any thoughts or pics they can post on here?

thanks

Saw some (in gloss black), up at Cat last time I was there, was veeerryyy tempted to get mine done.

What sort of cost would it be? How well would it hide parking blemishes?!? ???

Chris

Theres a place at stoke canon that did some powder coating for a mate, very nice job.

Tel 0139284108.

Hows the rebuild going? have to pop round for a nose.

Danny

What sort of cost would it be? How well would it hide parking blemishes?!? ???

Depends on what sort of quality powder coat you want. I'd be inclined to go for more than just a basic shot blast and powder coat, which would be around the 20 quid mark. 30-40 quid should see a pretty good quality, hard wearing finish. Why not have a chat with CAT Motorsport about powder coating options. They know their stuff... IMHO, it's well worth getting some better prep work and a higher quality powder for the finish than going for the cheap 'n' quick solution.

It won't hide nicks or dents in the ally where there is a definite indentation, but it'll disguise them pretty well such that they'd be much less obvious. Unless they're black, which will show up every little scratch and ding if you manage to remove the top coat enough to reveal bare/silver ally underneath...

Andy @ Cat did mine in gloss black. It was a crackin job, and there's a tyre fitting co next door to refit and balance too!!

Give him a call, it is his main business (Triple S Powder Coating) after all.

HTH

Tommo

Chris

Theres a place at stoke canon that did some powder coating for a mate, very nice job.

Tel 0139284108.

Hows the rebuild going? have to pop round for a nose.

Danny

Getting there, cooling and 'lectrics now. Anytime mate. You know the number!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I dropped the alloys and tyres off today, the company I found in coventry also do tyre fitting and balancing.

Tomorrow am. I call them with final decision - matt or gloss black  :cool:

The website basically says this - "The wheel is first brushed down, then dipped in a special formula acid to remove the paint but not attack the alloys. With the wheel removed it is washed to neutralise the acid and remove the paint. The wheel is then shot blasted and the wheel degassed so that the powder will adhere to the metal. The metal is strategically charged so that an even coat is delivered and the powder sticks....but the guy applying the powder is the most important factor! Then we cook the wheels in an oven...ta daaaa....."

I'll be paying 45quid per wheel (inc. tyre fitting/balancing) :down: , but the guy doing the powder coating had a westfield until 6 weeks ago! Small world :D