New Westfield XI

Chef Mayo

Come on chaps, there is nothing magical in 'A' series XI, that's like saying a Series 3 se7en must have a side valve Ford. If you must have an 'A' series KAD's 16v TOHC gives 180bhp (for circa £11k), you can get more from a turbo 8v but not for very long :oops:

Peter May can provide all parts necessary to upgrade the drive train and braking systems to take 200+bhp

Just about any engine will fit that will fit in a se7en, the last batch of twenty built in the 80s had US V8s.

I can tell you that driving mine was surreal, I was unable to stop anywhere without being approached by bystanders and inundated with questions. The only reason I sold it is because I found one of these instead

DemonstartorAtCoome1.jpg

Hi Albert

Is that a 23, or a Crossle or similar? Looks lovely. Remmebr the XI i slight, so will accelerate well with moderate power. But, where it will score, and provide far better performance per bhp than a 7 is in Aerodynamics. The XI is exceptionally clean. I imagine an XI with about 180 bhp via a K  would provide incredible performance.

John Gathard

Talking of Crossles.

Does any one know if they sell them as a kit or do you have to buy the whole car ?

The website does not give you a great deal of info and it's far too soon to start talking to the sales team.

Just another idea that keeps going round :D

John

It's a 23 clone available as an Historic replica and eligible for the controversial FIA passport (all contemporary parts) or as an SVAable update with current brakes/suspension, drive train etc.

Kits start at about £12,000 less engine/box

Westfield made 6 Lotus 23 clones in the 80s using Formula Ford running gear. I met Richard Smith at the Donnington show and asked him if they still had the plans, he said no, but then he also said there were no plans to reintroduce the XI ;)

Hi, New member, first post.

I went to westfield yesterday and test drove the X1. It was as expected a very classic drive. Felt a lot like a midget. Did bring a huge smile to my face even though it was very cold.

I had a look at a bare chassis and it would easily handle the horsepower, It is not the same as the westfield chassis but simular. As far as different power goes the only issue would be clearance for the bonnet. It would easily take a type 9 if you wanted to go the higher power route.

The fit of the body was iffy and the glass work shows the poor quality of the original molds. It is nothing some extra prep before painting could not solve. The bonnet is huge and does not have anything to hold open when mounted. It also touches the ground when you tilt it. The hinged point was also quite flimsy, allowing it to move around quite a bit. I would not want to have to open the bonnet on a windy day or with traffic rushing by.

I paid particular attention to the lack of rear wheel wells, But the car had been driven the previous day in heavy rain and the seat back carpet was dry as a bone.

The brake, clutch and throttle pivot points are fixed so I found I was cramped. I am only 6ft. Simon showed me that the current chassis has a lowered floor and you could add runners to the seats for adjustment.

Overall I found it met my expectations. I have a Caterham (don't shoot) R500 that I hillclimb / sprint. Its a great car but a bit much when you want to take that Sunday run to the pub or through the Cottswolds.

IMHO the X1 would be perfect for this, turning heads and arriving relaxed but still having fun. Then again maybe just a tad more power, bigger brakes HMMM where did that Moss catalogue go............

David